Protection against catastrophy

Discussion in 'Options' started by hlpsg, Dec 1, 2009.

1. CBOE did a study/presentation last year that presented basic option strategies as a "layman's" subsititute for CDS's. Go to CBOE website, and run a search that includes CDS in the query.

#11     Dec 2, 2009
  2. hlpsg

hlpsg

Hi dagnyt,
    Thanks for the input. I've tried FOTM front months and their hedging power decreases dramatically with time. If a huge gap happened closer to expiry, it might not cut my losses by much I think.

I might be mistaken, but by using back months, since there's a lot of extrinsic left, a huge jump in IVs will really bump up the downside curve.

I'm mostly protecting for a more reasonable catastrophe (having a higher likelihood of happening I guess) of perhaps a 10 - 20% gap down in price, and these FOTM options don't help much in these situations?

Thanks again, and if I'm mistaken in any of my points, feel free to correct me.

#12     Dec 3, 2009
  3. hlpsg

hlpsg

Thanks. That's something I did think of but unfortunately the max loss curve of the backspread lands exactly where it's most probably for the underlying to end up should there be a huge gap down.

I'm not very familiar with trading backspreads so again, pls feel free to correct me. They are an interesting idea for sure.

I was thinking if there was possibly a feasible way to scalp movements in the underlying with my disaster hedge (e.g. the backspread) if I'm not doing very many contracts of the protection itself? My experience looking into gamma scalping techniques in the past came up with the conclusion that you needed a really huge portfolio to be able to scalp gammas efficiently.

#13     Dec 3, 2009
  4. hlpsg

hlpsg

Thanks for the tip, will check it out.

#14     Dec 3, 2009
  5. hlpsg

hlpsg

Hi spindr0, thanks for the tip. Would you mind giving an example of this, and how you would manage them? How much of your portfolio would you dedicate to trading these bullish/bearish strategies?

Thanks.

#15     Dec 3, 2009
  6. spindr0

spindr0

If you do a mix of bullish and bearish spreads, what happens if the market tanks? The bearish spreads could possibly be 100% profitable and you'd only have problems with the bullish spreads. If the market range traded, you might do decently on both sides.

Take mid 2007 when the market started declining. Suppose you're into equities and you have a mix of bullish and bearish spreads. Suppose your bearish spreads are expiring each month but your bullish spreads don't. Isn't that a bit of a hint that your bias should be shifting to more bearish?

If you're dealing with individual equities, anything is possible since they don't always move in tandem with the market. But if they're indexes, they will, which is why some trade iron condors - it's unlikely that you'll lose on both sides.

#16     Dec 3, 2009
  7. You didn't mention a specific short gamma trade--for simplicity I will assume you are short either calls or puts. I have used the following:
    1. I only place OTM bull put spreads or OTM bear calls spreads instead of naked puts and calls or straddles and strangles.
    2. I only place enough positions so that my margin requirements are less than half my account equity.
    3. I have also placed bear put spreads with my bull put spreads(OTM and a wider spread than most) for more insurance; placed bull call spreads with my bear call spreads as well.
    4. I try to let the short, OTM options expire and exit the longs on the day of expiration or the day before (margin permitting). Obviously, less risk and smaller profits. Hope this helps.

#17     Dec 4, 2009
  8. sugar

sugar

OK, learn to manage long gamma positions.

#18     Dec 6, 2009