Protecting Assets From a Divorce

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by aeliodon, Oct 30, 2008.

1. LOL, great post.

Very realistic ... I believe we're all in agreement with this one.

Wow, thanks for the honesty.

#301     Nov 28, 2008

2. Don't worry, every girl already has in mind a checklist of things the guy should be and do

It's about high damn time guys come up with their lists

#302     Nov 30, 2008

3. Germany heiress wins 'landmark' pre-nup case in Britain

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,25726274-12377,00.html

"
    ONE of Germany's richest women won a British court case today upholding a pre-nuptial agreement that denies her ex-husband a slice of her fortune, in a ruling hailed as ground-breaking.
    Katrin Radmacher, 39, a paper industry heiress, and Nicolas Granatino signed the agreement in Germany before marrying in London in 1998 that stipulated they would not claim money from each other if they split.

A court last year awarded Frenchman Granatino £5.6 million ($11.39 million) of her £100 million ($203.48 million) fortune after they divorced in 2006 despite the agreement.

Ms Radmacher asked the Court of Appeal to overturn the ruling on the basis of the agreement, which was recognised in France and Germany but had not been legally binding in Britain.

In backing the pre-nuptial agreement on Thursday, Lord Justice Matthew Thorpe, one of three judges hearing the case, said courts should give "due weight" to such agreements when deciding future cases about dividing assets.

He said he believed it had become "increasingly unrealistic" to regard such contracts as void.

The court also cut the earlier figure awarded to Mr Granatino to about £1 million as a lump sum, in lieu of maintenance.

He will also receive a £2.5 million ($5.09 million) fund for a house to be returned to Ms Radmacher when the youngest of their two daughters, who is now six, turns 22.

Ms Radmacher said she was delighted with the decision, saying she and her ex-husband had made a promise about their financial arrangements, which had been broken when they split.

"I am delighted that the court accepts that the agreement Nicolas and I entered into as intelligent adults before our marriage should be honoured," she said in a statement.

"Ultimately, this case has been about what I regard as a broken promise.

"The arrangements the court has ordered will enable our daughters to live comfortably when they are with their father, and that is the way it should be.

"Nicolas and I made each other a promise and all I have been asking is that he be kept to it."

The couple's marriage reportedly floundered after Mr Granatino, 37, gave up a lucrative job in the finance industry to become a low-paid biotechnology researcher at Oxford University.

Mr Radmacher's solicitor hailed the ruling as a legal milestone, saying the court had recognised that such agreements made by couples were decisive in Britain.

"Now, in a landmark judgment, three of the most highly-respected judges in the land have ruled that pre-nups can be decisive in determining the financial division on divorce," solicitor Ayesha Vardag said.

"From today grown-ups can agree in the best of times what will happen in the worst of times."

The High Court ruled last year that it would be "manifestly unfair" to hold Mr Granatino to the pre-nuptial agreement.

The court also said then that the arrival of the couple's children had "so changed the landscape" that the pre-nuptial agreement should be set aside.

But lawyers for Ms Radmacher argued in the Court of Appeal that the freedom to agree a contract was "at the heart of all modern commercial and legal systems."
    "

#303     Jul 2, 2009