Prostate glands: Don't leave home without one.

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by TreeFrogTrader, May 14, 2024.

1. This guy cooking in his kitchen in his boxer shorts and talking folksy is a bit of a put-off but much of what he is reading and highlighting is from an article in the Journal of the National Cancer Institute at Oxford - along with a couple other journals.

2. It's one of the reasons I have a couple of spoons of tomato sauce/salsa in most of my evening meals. Besides the taste, which I like, I go for the lycopene content, which I had read was protective. I don't really like the taste of fresh tomatoes, but prefer the sauce. And maybe that's a good thing, because tomato sauce is more lycopene-rich than fresh tomatoes. Or so I read.

3. Does watermelon have as much as cooked tomatoes?

Frederick Foresight likes this.
  4. CET

CET

5. Thanks for reminding me to have more watermelon this summer. I haven't had any for a couple of years, and now I'm wondering why since I really like it.

TrailerParkTed likes this.
  6. TrailerParkTed likes this.
  7. Magna

Magna Administrator

From that article ─ "High lycopene foods include guavas, cooked tomatoes, watermelon, grapefruit, papaya, sweet red peppers, persimmon, asparagus, red cabbage, and mangos."

Unfortunately I rarely eat any of those items, instead to provide a small measure of lycopene I take a prostate supplement that also has some other ingredients that are supposed to be beneficial (eg., zinc, saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil). Not as good as natural sources but it will have to do.

8. Come on, who doesn't like spaghetti sauce or salsa?! There's something for everyone. And I would think that whole pumpkin seeds are better for you than just the oil. I roast about 2 weeks' worth of pumpkin seeds for about 7-8 minutes at 350 degrees in a toaster oven. The smell while roasting is irresistible, and the seeds are delicious, without any salt.

Whole foods, boyo! :D

And saw palmetto capsules smell like absolute shit. I mean, really. Fortunately, I don't have any prostate issues, but I tried it years ago as a replacement for finasteride for hair loss. They both worked about the same for me: not at all. At least the saw palmetto didn't have side effects, apart from possibly giving me bad breath.

Magna likes this.
  9. Magna

Magna Administrator

Love spaghetti sauce, but my favorite has both sugar and canola oil, neither of which fit into my diet. Along with this dire message: "Contains bioengineered food ingredients. The ingredients from canola and sugar in this product come from genetically modified crops." I suppose I could root around a health food store and find a less harmful sauce but I haven't felt compelled yet.

Salsa I hadn't considered, and will check out ingredients next time I'm at the grocers. I like pumpkin seeds, and don't have a clue as to which it better ─ the whole seed or the oil. May have to revisit that one. As to saw palmetto I don't take it alone, just as one of many ingredients in the prostate supplement pill.

10. I've come across pasta sauce that didn't have any sugar, but presently settle for one that has a bit of cane sugar and extra virgin olive oil:

https://www.commensal.com/all-the-sauces/project-one-ephnc-7cmpc-njxma

Seems like a lot of sugar, but I only use add a tablespoon or two, along with a similar amount of salsa, which has neither oil nor added sugar:

https://www.realcanadiansuperstore.ca/mild-salsa/p/20309646003_EA

I don't know either. But if I had to bet my lunch money, I'd say the whole seed. Just as eating fish is better than taking fish oil capsules instead, and as ground whole flax seed is better than just the oil. At least that's my thinking regarding pumpkin seeds, but I could be mistaken. If you decide to try them, buy them raw and roast them yourself, because the pre-roasted variety contains oil and salt. One thing pumpkin seeds don't need is added oil.

#10     May 20, 2024