Proshares tax disaster

Discussion in 'Stocks' started by stock777, Dec 24, 2008.

1. jprad

jprad

Okay, I misunderstood your earlier comment. What you posted here is my understanding as well.

#11     Dec 24, 2008
  2. As you can see, probably 1/2 or more of the sophisticates here on ET are clueless.

What's worse is they are more than happy to share their ignorance with all.

#12     Dec 27, 2008
  3. well, I consider myself one of the infinite number of clueless ET stooges, but something just doesn't add up for me. How is this any different from, say, 2-for-1 stock split? This would also bring the stock price from $100 to $50 but your STCG or LTCG remains essentially the same (so I would think) even if you were to sell on the day of the split? Likewise, wouldn't the STCG distribution offset any tax expenses, provided that you do receive the distribution.

Sorry if this sounds too naive. I personally don't trade either stocks or ETFs and I'm the biggest jackass when it comes to tax matters.

#13     Dec 27, 2008
  4. gnome

gnome

A stock split is very different. It's a non-taxable event and it does adjust the cost basis.

In the above $100 example, a 2:1 stock split would produce no tax consequences at all, and the cost basis would be adjusted to $50.

#14     Dec 27, 2008
  5. DonKee

DonKee

While I love trading many of the etf's leveraged and not, I just don't understand why anyone would trade the spy,qqqq, or dia's or any leveraged off-shoot of. The mini's allow you to determine your leverage and are tax advantaged at 60%-40%.

#15     Dec 27, 2008
  6. The whole point of me posting this thread was a public service.

This capital gains bs was a ream job. The etf managers did little or nothing to protect those using their gambling instruments.

Watch your back, these thieves will steal the stains from your jockey shorts.

[​IMG]

#16     Dec 27, 2008