Pros and cons of owning property as a trader

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Ghost of Cutten, Jul 26, 2012.

What should a good trader do about buying vs renting a main residence?

1. rent - keep flexibility high, and risk low, and move around the world as an itinerant international

8 vote(s)
    29.6%
  2. buy a modest residence for cash. Avoid the risk of debt, and just accept the reduction in earnings f

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  3. buy a modest residence on a normal mortgage. Stay balanced.

7 vote(s)
    25.9%
  4. buy a modest residence on an aggressive mortgage - maximise the free cash to plough back into the ma

2 vote(s)
    7.4%
  5. finance to the hilt to get a dream property, live the dream all-in baby - I am Mr Market and I am HU

3 vote(s)
    11.1%
  1. The pros and cons of home (or apartment) ownership are different for traders:

1. We have highly irregular income - so taking on debt, and spending cash, is much more risky than for people in regular jobs.
    2. We can (hopefully) earn high return on capital - so tying up cash is very costly compared to regular people who earn pitiful amounts on their savings.
    3. We are highly mobile and can live anywhere, we aren't tied to one job location.

Given all this, I want to consider the pros and cons of buying a residence vs just renting.

1. Renting can be a hassle - landlords can throw you out, you have to get references and paperwork, they can visit and check up on you, institutions are suspicious of renters etc.
    2. Renting is very flexible - no maintenance, can move fast and easily etc.
    3. Renting frees up cash to trade with, boosting your income (if you can scale your strategy).
    4. Renting has less risk - major repairs, nightmare neighbours, property crime etc.
    5. Renting leaves you exposed to long-term increases in nominal property prices.
    6. Renting avoids the risks of debt.

So, assuming you have enough cash to buy a reasonable residence without any debt, which is the best option for a consistent trader?

2. sprstpd

sprstpd

I think you forgot "live with mom and dad" or "roam the streets with your laptop as an umbrella" as options in your poll.

3. wrbtrader

wrbtrader

There's no correct answer because there's too many variables involved that you've not mentioned...

Kids, Single, Divorce, Location, New Home versus Old Home, Definition of Consistent Trader, Affordability and many others not mentioned.

Thus, what's right for you will be wrong for someone else due to any of the above variables. Just the same, some of the things you listed as Pros will Cons to someone else and vice versa.

4. volente_00

volente_00

A 15 year is 2.875% right now.

You can still get an fha for less than 5% down.

The good thing about a mortgage is it is a forced savings account coupled with a tax break.

So if you trade for 14 years and in year 15 you blow up and lose it all you could always sell the house, buy another one for less than 5% down and still have 95% of the proceeds to live off of while you figure out your next step.

5. What I want to know is whatever happened to Mr. Market? lol

6. ammo

ammo

even better if you own a multiunit and let the tenants pay off a portion of the mortage

7. +1

I'm in the process of buying my first property, which will be a quad-plex. I'll live in one unit, rent out the other three and pay rent myself. Save all this while still holding down the J.O.B. for the time being. Once the trading is stable enough and I have enough cash reserves as well as the property paid down substantially, I'll go PT at the J.O.B. or leave all together. No car payment, no house payment (at least not out of my pocket directly), no other "debts" (all misc. loans / cc's paid off).

8. ammo

ammo

worst expenses would be foundation, roof, plumbing,make sure those 3 are sound before purchase, also check out the largest nearby grocer and see if you want those folks as neighbors or renters,if the banks can't pull out of this mess, they won't be lending, great time to be a landlord

9. Brass

Brass

I wonder what will happen to prices when rates go up...

10. When 30 year treasuries paid 13% interest a realtor offered me a very nice ocean front lot for 8k. But I was invested to the max and couldn't buy it.

#10     Jul 31, 2012