PropTrader - Daily exploits

Discussion in 'Journals' started by PropTraderMTL, Dec 12, 2010.

1. Probably had an off day and blew his whole $1,500

#181     Jun 4, 2011
  2. Maverick74

Maverick74

How could he blow up? He was trading so small. I suppose it's possible something happened to his prop firm. The guy was a very conservative trader. I'm just curious why he gave no explanation.

#182     Jun 9, 2011
  3. Chagi

Chagi

My guess would be recent lack of profitability. He posted very good results for December ($9,700), January was a slim profit ($275), February was a larger profit ($3,480), and then March wiped out all of February, January and even a portion of December ($4,736 loss). Three months of $0 could provide some strong incentive to consider a "normal" job (and yes, not everyone is profitable all the time). Perhaps April was tough as well?

Hope all is well for the original poster of the thread.

#183     Jun 26, 2011
  4. Cambodia, he's in Cambodia

#184     Jun 26, 2011
  5. hahaha, no not a blow up and no the firm didn't go under. Flattering to see the concern. But your right I should have really provided an explanation as to my absence. The simplest way to explain it is to say I have switched to the grey side ... :D

To be honest my style of trading was working less and less in the current market.... I used to trade large size and scalp for pennies. The ECN fees though are a killer when there isn't a lot of action. I switched to trade smaller size and different stocks but the computer algo's were just tossing me around... making it difficult to find good trading stocks and trade opportunities.

I'm now actually trading a grey-box strategy with my firm (if you can't beat the algo's then join them!). Algo-based entry and I manually exit. I'm really impressed by the first full month especially with the low volume we have in this summer period. Can't wait till it picks up closer to Sept/Nov. I'm obviously aware of the fallacy regarding the law of small numbers and the proof will be in the long term results.

After trading for almost 3 years I have learned a lot about the psychology of trading and I'm able to put many of the built up instincts regarding the market to good use on the exits. The main thing though is managing risk... something that I have always had a good feel for. The best part of trading with a grey-box algo is that I don't have to worry about scanning the market or pulling the trigger on trades... that part is taken care of and I can focus on the most important part... the exit... riding profits and limiting losses

So I'm still here but I doubt my firm would be happy with me to publish the results. I also didn't want to just waffle on without any numbers. So I decided it was best to stop the thread. Hope you guys understand the situation... thanks for reading and helping me with my thoughts along the way

btw: I will always be happy to answer questions about trading (just pm me) but please appreciate that I'm not comfortable talking about the algo specifics nor talk about who I trade for.

#185     Jun 30, 2011