Proprietary Trading at Investment Banks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by London2002, Aug 3, 2002.

1. I would agree there, a lot of people say the computer will calculate your plain vanilla option so it's easy but they don't understand the gearing effect or vols and and structuring and they get f**ked to put it plainly.

#61     Aug 6, 2002
  2. I have been a succesful equity proprietary trader at a small firm for a year. Could anybody give me advice how to pursue a position at a decent sized prop desk at an I-bank or hedgefund?

#62     Aug 7, 2002
  3. liltrdr

liltrdr

#63     Aug 7, 2002
  4. Anything on the original topic?

#64     Aug 7, 2002
  5. You may be able to get yourself an assitant position on a proprietary desk at an Ibank but you will obviously have to target that specific desk and then be very persisitent and direct about getting a chance on that desk you will be doing research p and l statements calculations for those prop traders, but if they think you have something you will get your opportunity. You must take risks in life if you want to have a lot of success and also be resiliant accept that it will not all go your way but you must stick in the game and not get downheartened.

#65     Aug 8, 2002
  6. London, pm me please.

#66     Aug 13, 2002
  7. Should apoligize to Rich Beem. Here I went mocking him a few weeks ago and he wins the PGA championship and in the process beats Tiger Woods (the rare time Tiger was 'defeated' in a major on Sunday).

http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=100365&highlight=beem#post100365

#67     Aug 18, 2002