Proprietary Trading at Investment Banks

Discussion in 'Trading' started by London2002, Aug 3, 2002.

1. Yeah I'm living in dreamworl, I interned at a decent bank I am now joining a bulge bracket, amazing how jealousy eats up some people.

#31     Aug 6, 2002
  2. I'm not jealous of you, but that's only because I am an alien and I can do anything. I currently run a 10 billion dollar hedge fund whose primary business is trading in ostrich egg futures. In a former life I was a promoter of tulip bulbs in holland, you may have read about that little fiasco.

#32     Aug 6, 2002
  3. So its basically as if you are Jim Beem and all the firms you interview with want Tiger Woods or Phil Mickelson.

#33     Aug 6, 2002
  4. Actually it's Rich Beem, but from a book I read he sure seems to enjoy his Jim Beam...

And, btw, I thought Trader99 had finally overcome his inferiority complex...It had been a few months since he mentioned he went to an Ivy League school and worked at an IB...Get over yourself already...

#34     Aug 6, 2002
  5. Why is everyone always putting eveyrone down, I thought it was only in the UK and my family always said how good it was that Americans encourage success and respect people for oding well and all are in pursuit of achieving good things but you are all hacking away at each other(and me!), why doesn't everyone try to share their knwoeldge then we all may do a littel better.

#35     Aug 6, 2002
  6. trader99

trader99

I'm not sure who Jim Beem is. But anyhow, it's hard to say if they actually want the Tiger Woods. For example, when they were recruiting on campus, I had offers from GS and MER, but no offers from LEH or MWD. So, it's hard to say what the criteria is after a certain point right?

Because everyone who went to a top school had similair resumes, gpas, etc. I guess maybe fit or personality?

but this is really old stuff. i have long outgrown the whole ivy league/ib mentality bullshit. i have worked at many other places since then.

#36     Aug 6, 2002
  7. trader99

trader99

vulture:

There you go again! fuck that! This is thread is about london and his recruiting process at major American ibanks. That's why I bought up the ivy league point. But this is really old stuff. i have long outgrown the whole ivy league/ib mentality bullshit. i have worked at many other places since then.

But London being a 18yr kid wanted to know what the typical recruiting process was and I was merely outlined what I had epxerienced etc.

Other than that, I only care about making $ in the market, which we have beaten to death on this board is not necessarily correlated to higher education.

so get over yourself before attacking others...

#37     Aug 6, 2002
  8. whatever man, all I know is I have read about your Ivy League education about twenty times now...

#38     Aug 6, 2002
  9. trader99

trader99

because i only mention it when it comes to recruiting which this london20002 kid wants to know.

and like i said before, it doesn't correlate with trading. merely a filter for selection...

#39     Aug 6, 2002
  10. My main interest is if anyone knows the structure of the desks I know about recruiting process for Ibanks I have been at it for one and a half years.

Does anyone know ratios of long term to short term fx prop traders, I know it's a very tight question but at a long shot someone might know. Like say you got 15 people trading proprietary fx in London office of major bank with big share in fx, how many ar eliekly to be short term prop fx traders?

#40     Aug 6, 2002