Proposed new WAR TAX

Discussion in 'Economics' started by jorgez, Nov 30, 2009.

1. jorgez

jorgez

But the American tax payer is already paying for these wars in more ways than one, either directly through taxes and/or indirectly through the misguided economy which is linked into the wars.

Why not pay a separate war tax surcharge so the tax payer is constantly reminded of the wars they are funding.

#11     Nov 30, 2009
  2. Make it itemized.

%Tax to protect German interests
    %Tax for Afghanistan
    %Tax for protecting Saudi Sheiks
    %Tax for protecting Japan
    %Tax For Iraq

etc..

#12     Nov 30, 2009
  3. Really? There is. It's called an income tax. The politicians like to use said tax collected from the population as their own personal slush fund and to buy the votes of the people they just robbed.

Wars cost nothing compared to the cost of political hubris.

#13     Nov 30, 2009
  4. morganist

morganist Guest

i agree as usual. it is not a cost effective war in comparison to others. don't get me wrong no war is inexpensive but afghanistan is worse. partly because it is so far away and the conditions change.

incidentally in relation to your roman empire link did you know the productivity in the roman empire was not matched until the 19th century. so nearly one and a half thousand years and the productivity was not equalled. think about now if the same happens.

#14     Nov 30, 2009
  5. jorgez

jorgez

It will not happen.

The gap between US and other countries is too close despite the apparent gap? in the military

#15     Nov 30, 2009
  6. Here's the real question:

Do you want to continue your way of life as you know it? Do you understand that cheap and available oil is what makes the world go round, what makes your house worth what it is, allows you to drive a truck that gets 17 mpg, gives you the opportunity to inexpensively see Hawaii, Disneyland, or wherever else you want to go?

Given our way of producing food - which is very petroleum intensive from petrochemicals, diesel trucks, transportation on average of over 1,000 miles to the supermarket... that too would be impacted by an oil shock.

Do you prefer China or Russia to be the "occupiers" of the Middle East?

Our gdp to a large extent, is based on oil being at a certain price. We are less than 5% of the world's population, and we need about 25% of the current global oil production. Historically, when oil cost is 4% of GDP, we typically fall into recession. Needless to say, we are quite vulnerable right now due to this severe recession/depression. We can't handle oil getting too high.

Are you willing to put up with sky high unemployment, more so than now, because China decides it will fight a war on terror in the Middle East and ensure she gets the oil first before anyone else?

Understand what's at stake. It's not just some elites making money... we average folk have skin in the game.

I'm not necessarily saying I'm pro the current Middle East military engagement/policy.... I'm just framing the issue the way I see it. Afghanistan and Iraq are two of the most strategic locations in the world. They border Iran, and lie between the Persian Gulf and Caspian Sea basin. That's some important real estate. He who controls that area, controls the world. Let that area go, and someone else will control it. And you will pay that price accordingly.

You want the truth? That's the truth.

#16     Nov 30, 2009
  7. Illum

Illum

Has Obama done anything he said he would do? End these wars. Make a run at these scum bags in Pakistan or bring um home. This is ridiculous. Corporate wars, and they want us to pay for it. Make the defense industry pay for it. F em.

#17     Nov 30, 2009
  8. morganist

morganist Guest

astute as usual. i agree with what you say. the problem is whether we like it or not those things are going to go any way because of rising population, eventual oil shortages and lack of recycling. it is just a matter of time.

#18     Nov 30, 2009
  9. I guess some of you guys forgot about 9/11 and the 3100 folks that died that day. Wasn't that why we went to Afganistan?

OldTrader

#19     Nov 30, 2009
  10. piezoe

piezoe

Have you lost your fucking mind!?

#20     Nov 30, 2009