Proposed Iranian oil Bourse

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Decessus, Mar 9, 2006.

1. nevadan

nevadan

Dcraig

You point is excellent as is the article from the Asia Times. The authors assertion that the Iran oil bourse being a non starter with respect to the strength of the dollar is debatable though. He claims that the dollar was revived in the Arab oil embargo by the price shock of a sudden 400% increase in the price of oil. I would say that this is not entirely accurate.

What actually happened here is along with scrapping the Bretton Woods agreement was a devaluation of the US dollar. This in effect discounted the price of oil (same size barrel of oil purchased with dollars of less value). The Arabs, not being entirely stupid, recognized this and said "screw you Mr. Nixon, we will close the spigot until the price of oil rises enough for us to recoup our losses. They in effect sued for damages and won--Big Time.

Englund then argues that the Iranian crises did not result in an increase in demand for the dollar, instead it began to decline. This he claims disqualifies the concept of a "petrodollar".

Note the common thread here regarding the level of US dollars held by foreign governments and the value of the dollar. He also states elsewhere that the Europeans and others wouldn't dream of attacking the dollar for fear of reprisal. This is true but the Iraninans may not be as clear in their thinking. If they can improve their position by selling oil in euros while causing the US some grief at the same time (and they are the #5 producer in the world)I suppose it would be a win-win situation for them. I don't claim to have a clue with regard to whether the powers that be will view competion with the dollar as a real threat or not. I would say this though. If you poke a stick at the big dog you run the risk of being bitten. It dosen't matter if it is just a little stick, the bite you get will probably be about the same.

#11     Mar 10, 2006