Proposed Iranian oil Bourse

Discussion in 'Commodity Futures' started by Decessus, Mar 9, 2006.

1. Decessus

Decessus

I recently read an article and not being an economist, it was difficult for me to tell how much of the article was true, and how much was false.</br></br> Here is a link to the article: <a href="http://www.energybulletin.net/12125.html">Iranian Oil Bourse</a></br></br>I'd like to get some feedback on whether or not the author has any merit for his argument.

2. Babak

Babak

Anyone who thinks that it matters in which currency a commodity is priced flunked Econ 101.

3. Decessus

Decessus

Do you mind explaining why? I took an Intro to Economics in school, but to be honest, I don't think the instructor did a very good job. I received a high B in the class, but I don't feel like I know that much more than I did before the class.

4. Pekelo

Pekelo

Lucky me, because I never took Econ 101, so I understand the situation better than you. It matters a helluva lot, not necesserily for economic, but for political reasons.

Do a Google search on the issue, educate yourself and oh yes, you can whipe your ass with your Econ classes...

Sorry if I sounded a bit harsh, but ignorance in these matters can be extremely dangerous. You probably think that the US is in Iraq for their freedom...

5. Decessus

Decessus

Do you agree with what the author is saying then?

6. nevadan

nevadan

Every time a major foriegn central bank makes noises about reducing their dollar holdings it causes ripples in the markets. If oil consuming nations ( and who isn't) have an option of purchasing oil with euros and thus lowers the level of Eurodollars they must hold to purchase oil for their needs it stands to reason that the demand for dollars would drop. It seems reasonable to assume that could have a profound effect. I saw an article in the Financial Times recently that said Norway is considering its own bouse as well. Could be the coming thing.

7. Well, why don't you tell us why the US is there?

8. Decessus

Decessus

When you talk about reducing their dollar holdings, that means they give the dollars that they currently have back the U.S. in exchange for whatever it is they exchange, correct?

9. That is an excellent (indeed critical) point. Empires have always been established and maintained by the threat and application of military power. Ultimately application of military power is a political decision. You won't get any understanding of this from Econ 101, or from most of modern economics.

From another piece with a slightly different perspective on this issue in todays Asia Times:

"Why Iran's oil bourse can't break the buck"

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Middle_East/HC10Ak01.html

10. nevadan

nevadan

Decessus

The dollar hasn't been exchangeable for anything since Nixon took us of of the gold standard. Eurodollars is a euphamism for any money (US dollars) held outside of the US. What we have now is fiat currency. Simply put, our money is the full faith and credit of the government. If faith in the government fails, so does the currency.

#10     Mar 9, 2006