Prop Trading Internship Montreal

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by malak77, Mar 10, 2009.

1. malak77

malak77

Hey all,

I'm a second year b.comm finance student in Montreal.
    --> Extremely ambitious and competitive;
    --> Elite student with very high GPA;
    --> Member of an investment management program;
    --> Investing, trading and day trading experience [equities + stock options] for 9 years [the past three of which I have really been active];
    --> Extremely passionate about financial markets and trading;
    --> Very calm individual with good ability to control emotions;
    --> Work experience at big cap asset management firm.

I would like some information about prop firms hiring students for internships [I'm willing to commit 6 months, if successful].

I contacted a few firms in Montreal. The ones I considered working at told to come back when I finish my undergrad.
    This does not work for me since I want to trade professionally ASAP to see if this is a long term career made for me.

I would appreciate your help.

2. If you want to start as soon as possible I would suggest trying out Forex demo trading platforms and looking at Forex broker reviews at forex peace army.com
    If you're already good at trading, it might be cool to be working in a prop firm. To tell you the truth, I worked in a prop firm for three months and lost my job (for lots of complicated reasons but in the end, my results there were mediocre, I only made some "new discoveries" once I lost my job, lol). In any case, one of the reasons I wanted to work in a prop firm was to get ideas from people who were really good. Well, we had a visit once from a trader who worked in a branch in Quebec and he made several thousand in two trades and was done for the day. I didn't get to talk to him but the others I was surrounded by seemed to make only modest sums of money. I never bothered to ask them about their ideas partly because I didn't want to get too mixed up about my own ideas. But, like I said, if I would have had a chance to get some ideas from high earners, I would have asked them (even if I doubt some people would give away their ideas or even be able to express highly subjective views on trading to you anyway).

You can open a mini Forex account with $250. I learned a heck of a lot while I traded in the prop firm but I was kind of dissapointed to see I seemed to be surrounded by traders earning modest amounts of money. It was a learning experience for me. No doubt some people would "find a home" in a prop firm. But, one of the things I found a little unfortunate is trying to concentrate when some people are litteraly yelling at their screens.

By the way, how did you find out about the prop firms in Montreal?

VPhantom likes this.
  3. inktomii

inktomii

Its going to take you more than 6 months in a prop to make a living (1 year+). If you have money of your own from your trading/investing, why pay thousands in desk fees every month? Just find a good broker for your day trading. You’ll get to keep 100% of what you make.

From what I have seen your success rate at a prop is no different than if you go at it alone, unless you have a personal trainer (a trader a can sit next to).

4. malak77

malak77

thank you for your reply.
    I've been researching some of the prop firms in MTL for the past month or so... I've also ask a few questions to friends that have friends working at prop firms...
    I've always been interested in trading... but for some reason I've had a sudden urge to find an internship... just to see if this is truly for me...
    I've been trading for a while now.. day trading aprox 1h on days I don't have school... but it's hard to take it seriously as I'm really busy with school this semester [so i never have 100% concentration]... That's why i wanna try out a few months of pure trading... no other distractions --> just trading to see if I can make it...

I guess the discipline sets in after you lose a lot of money...I personally believe that trading is 70% knowing how to control your emotions and 30% technical, fundamental and market skills.. getting that 70% can be really expensive..

anyways thanks for your feedback.
    regards

5. There is swifttrade but I have no clue what they do.
    There's also one in Laval, can't remember the name. They where posting on jobboom or monster 2 years ago if I remember.
    There is nothing like making it yourself IMO.