Prop Trading in San Francisco

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by bv321, Oct 7, 2010.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

VTrader does not require a series 7.

#21     Nov 17, 2010
  2. dealmaker

dealmaker

"VTrader does not require a series 7." - Maverick 74

VTrader has programs for both for traders with series 7 and retail. Their capital contribution requirements are a bit higher than other prop firms I am aware of.

#22     Nov 22, 2010
  3. Maverick74

Maverick74

You can have a series 7, but it's not required. And yes, they also have retail portfolio margin accounts.

#23     Nov 22, 2010
  4. jbuckle7

jbuckle7

If you're an experienced trader why not just trade with a FCM like velocity, global or advantage. Whats the point in trading for a prop firm if you have an identifiable edge?

#24     Nov 25, 2010
  5. Good point, I would much rather trade my own account and keep all my profits. However, I would like to be surrounded by other professional traders to exchange ideas and stay ahead of the curve. I think I would benefit from being in that environment versus trading from home. Perhaps a trading arcade is more what I'm looking for, and I haven't looked into that too much, but generally I get the feeling that there aren't a whole lot of experienced traders there. I could be wrong. Maybe I just need to move to Chicago and rent a desk at the CBOT. Thanks for your input.

#25     Nov 26, 2010
  6. dealmaker

dealmaker

"If you're an experienced trader why not just trade with a FCM like velocity, global or advantage. Whats the point in trading for a prop firm if you have an identifiable edge?" - jbuckle7

Most traders use prop firms because of leverage but there are other reasons also eg execution, platform etc..

#26     Nov 26, 2010
  7. dealmaker

dealmaker

"Good point, I would much rather trade my own account and keep all my profits. However, I would like to be surrounded by other professional traders to exchange ideas and stay ahead of the curve. I think I would benefit from being in that environment versus trading from home. Perhaps a trading arcade is more what I'm looking for, and I haven't looked into that too much, but generally I get the feeling that there aren't a whole lot of experienced traders there. I could be wrong. Maybe I just need to move to Chicago and rent a desk at the CBOT. Thanks for your input." - Bill Tradeswell

Until the most recent Fin. Reg. you kept 100% of your profits with most series 7 prop firms assuming you traded your own cash, which you would with FCM.The props that doesn't require series 7 are continuing to let you keep 100% of your profits ( the ones I am aware of).

#27     Nov 26, 2010
  8. jbuckle7

jbuckle7

#28     Nov 26, 2010
  9. dealmaker

dealmaker

"I found this thread quite inciteful on Trading arcades vs Trading with a FCM. With regards to leverage I don't see any edge with a trading arcade. The systems might be slightly better but for an outright trader shouldn't really make much difference. Personally my focus would be on commissions and I dont't see arcades as being very competitive in this sphere." - jbuckle7

There are no $2500 desk fees in US, unless perhaps you have a desk direclty at CBOT or at another exchange. Rates are negotiable at every prop firm I know of, it all depends how much you trade; I am sure for a trader with a healthy volume props are much cheaper. Two best platforms in trading are Anvil & Redi and neither of those are available at FCMs. I am not aware of any prop firm offering only 4:1, most offer at least 10:1 and some way, way more than that.
    This doesn't mean everyone should trade with a prop if, FCMs are working for you stick with it.

#29     Nov 26, 2010
  10. wot

wot

hey bv, i'm moving to the sf area and am also contemplating trading on my own. any luck with your search?

#30     Dec 9, 2010