Prop Traders - Supplemental Income

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by cmf1994, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cmf1994

cmf1994

Curious to here what prop traders have done as side jobs or businesses until they "made it" and could support themselves solely from trading income. How long did it take? Which firm did you start with? Thanks.

2. OffTilt

OffTilt Guest

Working in a restaurant on evenings & weekends is good as long as you can manage to keep yourself away from the rest of the crew after work....late nights, drinking, and drugs.

3. Investment income

4. buylo

buylo

Sold shoes at night and on the weekends.

5. What penalty will you pay if caught ?

6. Since we live in the "correct" time zone, and have a 24 hour city, many of our guys work in the gaming industry, drive limo's etc. when they first start. Some trade from 6:00-8:30 our time and keep their "regular" jobs. I encourage that for new traders.

FWIW,

Don

7. artis74

artis74

i highly recomend not doing this. do not do anything half hearted. this will allow you to focus all your efforts where they need to be.

8. Well, I can honestly say, I highly recommned doing this. I started one year ago, and have kept my job as a pizza delivery driver to bring in some extra cash. It's great because even if I make zero money from trading in any given month, I wont have any financial worries. And now that I'm actually making decent money from trading, I still plan on keeping my job, because the people are great and I find it to be stress relieving (believe it or not). :cool:

9. cmf1994

cmf1994

artis74

06-25-08 02:01 PM

i highly recomend not doing this. do not do anything half hearted. this will allow you to focus all your efforts where they need to be.

Who said this was a half-hearted attempt? Reality is that sometimes you need to "focus all your efforts" in more than one place in order to get ahead. If I do not have income coming in for the period of time that I am learning, won't the stress of not being able to pay bills disrupt my focus? Appreciate all the replies. Thanks.

10. Move the the west coast or silicon valley specifically. Good IT/Software folks can make 100k+ easily and no one expect you at the office until about 10 am.

So you can trade the first 2-3 hours and the close conveniently is right during the lunch hour.

Get yourself a broadband wireless modem and you're set.

#10     Jun 25, 2008