Prop Trader Workstation setups

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by jpomerenke, Aug 5, 2002.

1. #11     Aug 5, 2002
  2. How many monitors can you run off of one computer (w/ Pentium 4 chip).

Thanks

#12     Aug 5, 2002
  3. Tom Frey

Tom Frey

there's no real limit and isn't limited by the cpu.
    Assume you got a matrox parhelia agp running (3monitors) .. + 4 pci slots each a matrox g440 or something which supports dual monitors there should be no problem running 12 monitors total =)

#13     Aug 5, 2002
  4. System Resources depletion makes it impossible to run 12 monitors (depending on many things - Trading Platform (I use TS6), number of java applications running, open IE windows, e-mail, etc).

I've switched to WIN 2000 PRO and am now running 4 monitors w/ no problem. However, I've heard of other traders having problems with more than 4 monitors.

GD

#14     Aug 5, 2002
  5. Tom Frey

Tom Frey

of course will this work. i worked at a digital video production company earlier and we had 10 monitor setups for specific product shows running

edit: if you still doubt it i looked up a link where such systems are sold: http://www.9xmedia.com/Pages-products/3000-Presentation-Systems.html

this does not mean that i recommend this .. it's just absolutely possible from technical side

#15     Aug 5, 2002
  6. not my style.

Yes, maybe you can run 12 (or 20 for that matter!) monitors w/ one CPU for some applications - but not for serious trading.

I have been trading for a living for many years (pre-bubble!). Todays trading platforms are serious "system resource hogs" (particularly TradeStation 6!). In addition, java applications for various ECN books also drain SR's.

If you have, in fact, been using 12 monitors in an actual trading situation, I'd certainly be open to hearing the details.

GD

#16     Aug 5, 2002
  7. Tom Frey

Tom Frey

heh sure i'm not here to argue either ;)

just the fact i wanted to point out is that it doesn't matter whether you got 1 monitor or 10 monitors running with the same software there's no difference in ressource use

but of course if you have more space you tend to open more software and windows which causes the additional ressource use

#17     Aug 5, 2002
  8. We run 4 monitors off one CPU and all on Windows 2000 Professional.

If you are running tradestation that should be on a seperate computer/CPU same with email and other applications.

My trading computer is for trading only. No other programs are installed. A seperate computer is used for email, play games and so forth.

Robert

#18     Aug 5, 2002
  9. appreciate the info!

#19     Aug 5, 2002
  10. Lynx Captial

in NY

Picture #1

#20     Aug 25, 2002