Prop for an FX trader

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Georgii, Oct 10, 2010.

1. MrFuture

MrFuture

As I opined in another thread I opened a few weeks ago, why would anyone trading forex need a prop firm to do that ?

Retail forex already gives you huge leverage, and you do not need to share any of your profits with the prop firm, no fees, no one to tell you what to do and no need to quit your current job.

In addition, complete safety of your funds if you pick the big companies (Citi fx, Deutsche Bank or UBS to name a few).

The only problem with forex is the volatility, and if you fall in the temptation of trading short time frames with high leverage, no doubt you will lose money, because the forex market is a crazy, fast bitch with not mercy.

I went through that, lost some money, and learned my lesson.

We all fall prey to the sexiness of day/active trading, highly leveraged. I'll never forget the excitement of making $100 in less than a minute by making only 10 pips (I was using $10 per pip). Unless you have a huge account, that's just plain stupid.

Now I only look at daily charts, that btw on forex trend beautifully, and use very little leverage and ride the trends. No more waking up at 2am fearing the worst, not more panic attacks when some news comes out. Been there, done that. But it seems we all have to go through that before learning the lesson.

#31     Oct 14, 2010
  2. Please explain this:

http://datasuite.cmegroup.com/dataS...ctCode=6E,6J,6B&exchange=XCME&selected_tab=fx

#32     Oct 14, 2010
  3. Yes, I was watching that right now, and both the bid and the ask for yen became 81.45 while I was watching. This never happens for the JPY/USD.

This was from another trader who e-mailed me the following, I will not mention his name:

" i agree with your description of eur futures verses broker and spread "

"No problem , on a side note it's amazing how many people regard futures spreads as a cost , which overall they arn't , whereas broker spread is , anyway good luck"

As noted there are in fact offers and bids which you can see in real time made by other traders, not your broker. You can get the actual price of instrument traded but sometimes may need to do it with a limit order. However, I did a market order sell to open and then a market order buy to close recently of my CL position (real money) and did not even get a 1 tick slippage. Try a market order on the EUR/USD, you will always pay the spread because its made by broker not the other traders.

#33     Oct 14, 2010
  4. cstfx

cstfx

Please educate yourself on the difference between an ECN forex broker and the bucketshop/dealing desk/marketmaker broker.

#34     Oct 14, 2010
  5. mr.az

mr.az

waiting for oraclewizard77 to comment :)

#35     Oct 14, 2010
  6. JamesL

JamesL

#36     Oct 16, 2010