prop firms

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by sawyer, Jun 19, 2006.

1. mnx

mnx

sure. I've never traded there but I've definitely heard of them. The guy who started it used to be part of swift montreal...

they use sterling trader pro. hopefully someone who's traded there can give you the inside scoop, that's all I got...

mnx

#41     Jul 24, 2006
  2. Hard to understand if both statements above and below are true.

Please kindly comment. Thanks.

Q
    http://www.stocktrading.com/NewBT-Questionnaire.shtml

Trading on margin or short selling may result in losses beyond your initial investment. When you trade with funds borrowed from a firm or someone else, you can lose more than the funds you originally placed at risk.
    UQ

:confused:

#42     Jul 25, 2006
  3. Ours applies to licensed traders, the other refers to "margin" which applies to retail customers of brokerage firms. No one "borrows" from us....they are all trading our $$, their portion is used for P&L purposes. If something crazy happens, and the trader has followed the rules, we would have to cover any excess losses...again, "Limited Liability" Company.

Don

#43     Jul 25, 2006
  4. [
    Trading on margin or short selling may result in losses beyond your initial investment. When you trade with funds borrowed from a firm or someone else, you can lose more than the funds you originally placed at risk.
    UQ

:confused: [/B][/QUOTE]

Your potential for loss on a short is unlimited....On a reg. margin account, if you buy say GOOG at 300, you could lose not only that position, but other positions in your portfolio to help maintain overall account equity of 30%. IE: you had 200k in fully paid for equity and then do the purchase of GOOG...you could lose not only the Goog, but also the 200k in fully pd. equity.

#44     Jul 25, 2006
  5. I believe the prop firm's overall/ aggregate position generated by all prop traders should be constantly hedged, in order to protect other profitable prop traders.

#45     Jul 26, 2006
  6. Are there any pointers for how prop firms managing their prop traders' risks in general?

Perhaps that's exactly what some prop traders would expect from a prop firm's expertise and knowledge in risk management model/ execution.

#46     Jul 26, 2006

7. I have seen and heard of several firms that go belly up because they usually have a few 'big time' players who command huge amounts of BP....they may only have 10k of their own money up, but the firm gives them 500k in BP because they have a good track record....unfortunately, all it takes is a couple of bad days and next thing you know, other traders BP and possibly payout is effected. Bright seems to have the best and most consistent risk management methods, mostly because they are focused on long term growth and profitability instead of the quick smash hit success of a lot of these one hit wonder firms...IMO

#47     Jul 26, 2006
  8. I don't seen someone commanding a whopping 500k in BP ever putting a firm out of business. With only 10k up, one bad day and they are gone...as a trader...but not the firm.

#48     Jul 26, 2006

9. Uhmmm....if they only have 10k of their own $$ at risk, but using 500k in bp lose 100k....where is the balance of the loss coming from?

#49     Jul 26, 2006
  10. Mschey will cover the balance, LOL.

Actually, as long as a trader does not violate any rules or regulations, the Firm will cover the difference. We've had to eat a few bucks on a few occasions.

Don

#50     Jul 26, 2006