Prop. Firm - Where does the capital come from?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by DayTrad3r, Jan 28, 2009.

1. opt,
    could you give some examples about what sort of ratios traders get for pending orders (e.g. 1:10 for newbies, 1:100 for veterans, 1:1000 for the top dog)?

i understand that it is trader and firm specific. i am trying to get a general idea on what is common and what is the upper limit.

#21     Jan 31, 2009
  2. opt789

opt789

I can’t give you any specifics, but it has mostly to do with what type of orders you are talking about – all in one security, many really small non correlated orders, close the market or far away, etc. Black box guys putting out tons of small orders across the spectrum with very tight automatic risk controls are going to be able to have a lot of open orders. Why would any regular trader want 1000 to 1 leverage with open orders? Every trading system goes down sometimes, and the exchange itself can have problems. I have seen many times where you get shut down for a little bit and you have no idea of the status of your orders. It is obvious to the prop firm after a short time which traders know what they are doing and control their own risk and which traders don’t, which will directly affect what they allow you to do. The simple answer is you would have to call them and tell them specifically what you would be doing, and see what they say.

#22     Jan 31, 2009
  3. a lot of people on this thread are making the assumption that if a prop firm exceeds their bp, then the shit hits the fan, the game is over for them, and it's a shaky firm. not so. they just get a margin call. most small firms have relationships with a lender where they can get short term loans to meet the call (can even be their PB, IB, or JBO). they pay some interest on the loan, and it's business as usal. for smaller firms this is par for the course.

#23     Jan 31, 2009
  4. Great question! I've been going to a few prop firms in NYC and live in California. Wanted to make sure that I can check out offices and head traders instead of just blindly giving my security deposit.

I was always curious how leverage at prop firms works. Merci!

#24     Feb 3, 2009