Prop firm vs broker: pros and cons, fixed costs (pro data), etc.

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Georgii, Mar 3, 2015.

1. coskinas

coskinas

That's good to know. Do you mostly scalp, ScalperJoe?

#31     Mar 11, 2015
  2. I used to, however I'm not trading at a prop firm anymore, only retail, and more swing than scalp.

#32     Mar 12, 2015
  3. SwingerJoe do you feel there is no money in scalping anymore ?

How many ticks would you take on a trade nowadays vs in the past as a scalper ?
    I have traded since 2004 and have moved towards less RTS but running for more per trade

#33     Mar 12, 2015
  4. The problem with equities is unless you are taking size with just a few trades, you end up jumping around too many stocks while scalping to find the "runner" of the day, thus bleeding your equity through commissions.

Regarding "ticks" you're referring to futures, and I think if you're going to daytrade, then futures is a better alternative to equities. I'd say 10 to 20 ticks is decent per lot, rather than trying to go in/out for a few ticks.

I agree that less RTS and running for more per trade is the correct strategy.

#34     Mar 16, 2015
  5. cheers scalperjoe. yes i trade futures and would agree 100% with your thoughts

#35     Mar 16, 2015
  6. Thanks. I just watched it yesterday, it was an interesting documentary, although obviously biased against the hedge fund firms.

Rajaratnam's brother was acquitted, which shows insider trading is actually more difficult to prove than the Frontline documentary suggested.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/...FG11020140711?feedType=RSS&feedName=fundsNews

#36     Mar 23, 2015