Prop firm or work on the floor

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by dblumie, Aug 27, 2008.

1. The point everyone is trying to make is that if you have the ability to get a job trading ANYTHING, you take it. And learn. It is much easier to figure out what exactly you want to trade once you become a trader. Right now you are just a pissant (no offense) who has no leverage or say. If everyone tells you to trade futures, are you going to turn down jobs trading options holding out for your "dream" position based on what others say?

You said you could take a job trading right now. I would take it before someone else does. Good Luck.

#21     Aug 28, 2008
  2. I sent you a private message. Let me know if you have any questions.

#22     Aug 29, 2008
  3. Wow uhm, let me just say that you are extremely lucky and should be grateful that you have such an opportunity handed to you on a silver platter.

In other words, take the floor job ASAP!

#23     Aug 29, 2008
  4. bone

bone

Take the floor job with great haste. Even if it pays $50 per day (really). Sleep at the YMCA for six months. With your academic pedigree and six months experience (even if all you're doing is running spreadsheets for risk and FV, and checking trades) gives you a definite leg up. You will meet the market-makers for all of those Chicago prop firms that hundreds of people on this board are so desperate to get into.

Now get going.

#24     Aug 29, 2008
  5. Cutten

Cutten

Most employers would disagree. Finding people like that is fiendishly difficult.

#25     Aug 29, 2008
  6. Cutten

Cutten

Yeah for one year at LIFFE, watching the bund pit go from 70% to 10% market share vs Eurex :)

#26     Aug 29, 2008
  7. Cutten

Cutten

Add:

i) willing to work for peanuts in "risky" areas, in return for a bit of the upside
    ii) ridiculously better prepared than everyone else
    iii) continually thinking of ways things can be done better in your field of work & responsibility
    iv) obviously passionate/obsessive about your line of work
    v) able to prove all of the above in 2 mins to a complete stranger

You should then stand out quite noticeably from 99% of applicants, IF you can get your foot in the door for an interview or networking opportunity.

#27     Aug 29, 2008
  8. dblumie

dblumie

I have arranged a meeting to go in and check everything out to see what I would be doing. Thank you all for your invaluable advice.

#28     Aug 29, 2008

9. Now how can you argue with that!!! I would give my left nut to work on the floor! Hell I would probably pay them just to have the opportunity!

PS The clerks are really hot too!!!

YT

#29     Aug 29, 2008
  10. Hee hee!

I love to hear about traders drinking and drug habits, god knows the rest of us like to make money;)

Am now ducking and running for cover:-D

#30     Aug 30, 2008