Prop Blowups, how common are they?

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by Pumpanddump, Apr 18, 2005.

Have you ever seen someone blowup?

1. I've seen someone blowup $5k-$100K

75 vote(s)
    28.7%
  2. I've seen someone blowup $100K-$300K

52 vote(s)
    19.9%
  3. I've seen someone blowup $300K-1 Million

72 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. I've never seen someone blowup

62 vote(s)
    23.8%
  1. keafan

keafan

the day of the rate hike in Jan '01 a guy in our office was short three stocks, one of which was AOL - don't remember the other two... he went to the head for a dump, came back and his whole account was blown out. never saw him again.

moral of the story... ALWAYS put in stops if u leave your screen for any reason! u never know what can happen.

#21     Apr 19, 2005
  2. Truff

Truff

Stops would of been worthless that day, eberything just gapped up

#22     Apr 19, 2005
  3. keafan

keafan

yes, everything gapped up. but they also gapped up and KEPT GOING STRAIGHT UP. with stops he would not have blown out his account. he would have had a big loss, yes, but not blown out.

#23     Apr 19, 2005
  4. Truff

Truff

Not so sure about that, all my positions just gapped and at the end of the day the market was a little lower than where those positions were at the time of the announcement. I remember that day well, was my worst day. I though that was it

#24     Apr 19, 2005
  5. sprstpd

sprstpd

It's all relative to account size.

#25     Apr 19, 2005
  6. EXACTLY...however, with even some good trading platforms like Lightspeed, there is no built-in STOP LOSS order capability for Naz stock trading. Reason: ETrade does not want the LIABILITY from failed stop orders due to execution or technical problems.
    Many other order entry platforms DO park stop-loss orders for Naz stocks locally....so what the heck ?

#26     Apr 19, 2005
  7. What's the difference ? Big account = large dollar losses, small account = small dollar losses.
    With a meager $5k deposit account, the guy was down 80% of his account in 2 trading days....as he started those trades down $1000 already.
    What's important are the LESSONS learned:
    no discipline
    wishful thinking
    refusing advice
    overleveraged
    no stop losses used
    etc
    All can destroy an account.

#27     Apr 19, 2005
  8. Funny stories lol :D

#28     Apr 19, 2005
  9. whats so funny about people blowing out?

#29     Apr 19, 2005
  10. It's part of a learning experience. People should read this and learn as much as they can, that is the purpose of elite trader. Bottom line, if this thread cna help one guy mitigate his risk then the thread could be worht millions in losses that nay never happen. Maybe, based on this thread, a person will not walk away and go to the toilet without a stop loss order. And that is what this thread is all about!!

#30     Apr 19, 2005