Proof TWS tick is broken for weeks and useless, misleading

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by SoesWasBetter, Aug 31, 2017.

1. #31     Sep 4, 2017
    themickey likes this.
  2. geosing

geosing

They do have another symbol for charting the $TICK in conventional manner - $TICX
    https://www.barchart.com/stocks/quotes/$TICX/interactive-chart

It is also available via their onDemand API (requires data subscription)

#32     Sep 5, 2017
  3. I compared the values of "NYSE-TICK" on TWS with "$TICK" on ThinkOrSwim. They track each other quite closely, though the values seem to be about 30-50 apart all the time. Based on eyeballing the values for a few minutes, ToS appears to be updating every 2-3 seconds. TWS appears to be updating about every second.

The $tick values on bachart.com appear to track right in there with ToS and TWS.

Clearly none of these sources are providing $tick in real time. If you think about it this makes sense since $tick is the number of up-ticks and down-ticks for about 10,000 stocks on NYSE. To provide real time $tick would require the same type of data service as any tick data provider such as IQFeed.

ToS, TWS and barchart are all providing sampled snapshots of $tick from some common high speed source. As a result $tick will be a very noisy on any platform and not particularly useful except for a general market sentiment reading.

#33     Sep 5, 2017
    Macca1 likes this.
  4. jharmon

jharmon

Comparing poo with poo means you always get poo. It might smell a bit different, look a bit chunkier or sloppier but it's still poo.

#34     Sep 5, 2017
    lawrence-lugar likes this.
  5. Well, no need to be gross. My point was that a fast-changing value can only be represented imperfectly on a normal retail platform. This was demonstrated by examining 3 platforms.
    If you're saying $tick isn't particularly useful, I must agree.

#35     Sep 5, 2017
  6. geosing

geosing

There will be minor differences among providers. I don't know about TOS, but I have compared it with eSignal and Barchart. TWS is not even remotely resembling the other sources. The situation is worse when the breadth is lop sided. If you can post a comparative chart (TOS & TWS), it will be useful. My understanding is that $TICK is computed from about 3000 NYSE listed stocks.

Here is Barchart for Sep 1
    TICK170901BC.png

Here is TWS
    TWSTick170901.png
    On Sep 1, $TICK never prints positive after about 11 EST. There is some kind of error in calculation that seems to be cumulative through the session. Does TOS $TICK look like this?

Whether it is useful or not depends on the trader and the way it is used. It is/was key part of my tool set used in VST trades. I have put trading index futures on hold and focusing on other products for now, till I get settled on a new data source.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
    #36     Sep 5, 2017
  7. geosing, its totally hosed. Ignore the idiots here trying to defend it.

And they know about it for WEEKS.

A disgrace.

#37     Sep 5, 2017
    tommcginnis likes this.
  8. stevegee58's observation is TOATALLY wrong and fabricated. Another loser.

The diff has been running as much as 500 points between tws and tos

#38     Sep 5, 2017
  9. Sadly some people only acknowledge opinions and observations that are in line with what they already believe.

#39     Sep 5, 2017
    Macca1 likes this.
  10. stevegee58, now on ignore. I rarely do that , but in extreme cases, I have little choice

#40     Sep 5, 2017