Proof TWS tick is broken for weeks and useless, misleading

Discussion in 'Retail Brokers' started by SoesWasBetter, Aug 31, 2017.

1. themickey

themickey

And for a company which has such a high profile on ET, that is comments and complaints and from what I can gather is not a sponsor on ET, that basically says it all. Their customer service is crap.
    I dumped IB long ago and hell can freeze over before I ever go near them again.

#11     Sep 1, 2017
  2. themickey

themickey

3. JackRab

JackRab

So who do you use?

#13     Sep 1, 2017
  4. themickey

themickey

Had to give up on my ideas for futures automation. Where I am (Australia) IB are the only choice as far as I'm aware for this sort thing. But IB just about drove me insane to the point I had to throw away my automation ideas.
    So I went back to my roots which is EOD stock trading.
    Currenty using ING which is a bare bones trading platform via Commsec (does the job) but gonna shift outta there soon hopefully. It gets a bit complicated as I'm going into a SMSF (self managed super fund)
    All my winnings are tax free which helps.
    Just as an aside, I'm running a journal on ET, but just for today my acc#2 made over $6k, acc#3 over $16k

#14     Sep 1, 2017
  5. Macca1

Macca1

Why on earth would you rely on IB for accurate data? Get it from a real data provider.

#15     Sep 1, 2017
  6. DeltaRisk

DeltaRisk

Are you noticing lag on the system?

I was trying to log in on Eikon and IB wouldn't link up. Strange.

#16     Sep 1, 2017
  7. jharmon

jharmon

Agree with the comments on using a broker for data (don't do it without having a separate primary source)

Surely $TICK is a market breadth indicator is historical dinosaur that should be in a museum and not on a trading screen.

Only 2/3 of NYSE securities are equities - the rest are a combination of debt securities, hybrid debt/equity, preferreds etc.

Heck, $TICK probably includes NYSE Arca and NYSE American now for all we know.

This is a relic that needs to be buried and move onto indicators where we actually know the way they are calculated.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    #17     Sep 1, 2017
    Macca1 likes this.
  8. It seems IB is not for you and all you do is complain about their platform. So, why do not you move your account to different broker and be happy?;)

#18     Sep 1, 2017
  9. rb7

rb7

IB is well known to be shit for market data. It's either you live with it, or you use a real market data vendor. I'm with IB for trading (order and account management), but with IQFeed for the market data.

#19     Sep 1, 2017
    Macca1 and Stocktracker like this.
  10. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

Your interpretation is right on, Jack, and coupled with TRIN, gives a fine view into (instantaneous) market breadth -- and concomitant future turns/direction.

It's both sad and hilarious, that because TICK and TRIN were among the first "technical indicators" that they get ignored and even berated as antiques, compared to the latest wonder-butt Itchy Mo'Curd Clouds* that capture 'retail' attention so much -- including now on IB, which used to be free of most such noise.

(*I had a pizza once, with I think some bad anchovies, which gave me Itchy Mo'Curd Clouds -- not something I would want to get near the trading computer...)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2017
    #20     Sep 1, 2017
    JackRab likes this.