Proof of How Universal Mask Wearing Stops Covid Spread ?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by piezoe, Apr 27, 2021.

1. Tsing Tao

Tsing Tao

So you want us to just accept your hypothesis that areas that had a spike would be worse if they hadn't had mask mandates?

Does that mean that areas that have almost no or very low infection rates and don't have mask mandates would be negative case rates or something if they had mask mandates?

Yet another failure of critical thinking.

The issue isn't whether the spike would be worse, it is that there was a spike at all. If mask mandates work so well there shouldn't be a spike. And those spikes shouldn't be worse than places without mandates when equalized for population. And they frequently are.

This doesn't mean masks don't work. It means mandates don't work. The equation (if we can call it that) of what defines an effective response to a virus contagion is an extensive one. Simply implying that if X (lockdown) = YES and Y (mask mandate) = YES then Virus Spread = NO is just plain stupidity and simple minded thinking.

Pre-COVID, this was universally accepted as WRONG by institutions like the CDC and the WHO. And then it was politicized and everything changed.

#31     Apr 28, 2021
    LacesOut and jem like this.
  2. jem

jem

I thought masks prevented the spread?
    I thought you said you were not using models?

If you can't show that that the spread went down consistently in absolute terms after mask mandates..almost everywhere...
    all you have is conjecture based on models.

your 30 to 40 day statement is patently absurd.
    What if your mask mandate went into effect as you were hitting widespread immunity or warmer outdoor weather?

#32     Apr 28, 2021
  3. UsualName

UsualName

Ok. Take that up with California then. I don’t live there. People don’t really wear masks outdoors where I live.

#33     Apr 28, 2021
  4. jem

jem

I did not see this as I wrote my response...

Well said.

#34     Apr 28, 2021
  5. jem

jem

The individual law or mandate is not the point I am making.

you need to think larger. If you are going to blame non compliance you need to understand that compliance needs rules that make sense or heavy enforcement.

Rules based on data which make sense are going to get far more compliance that mandates which do not. .

Ask cops about limit lines when views around the corners are obstructed.
    Most people role past the limit line and stop when they get a sufficient view of oncoming traffic. (that is a violation in many states but people do it anyway)

A few do stop at the limit line for the full amount of time... and then roll forward...But not many.

We could discuss non compliance with stupid laws for days.
    We could discuss how the bell curve for traffic speed is frequently above the traffic limit...

But... you know compliance relies upon smart laws or heavy enforcement of bad laws.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    #35     Apr 28, 2021
  6. UsualName

UsualName

Again, the restrictions where you live are different than where I live. Try to understand you complaining about life in California to me is actually useless.

My point was always that the Asian countries did the best job at preventing spread. The data is there. They have compliance with basic preventive measures including mask wearing, hygiene and distancing. They never really had to impose restrictions because there was no juvenile arguments over best practices.

We argued over this stuff and Ovid ran through America. Not only that we suffered great economic and loss of life. All because people want to argue whether or not a mask prevents spread. It’s just dumb and was never worth it. Just wear the mask.

#36     Apr 28, 2021
  7. jem

jem

Try to think bigger picture rather than local.
    you see you are being the moron I am talking about.

Why the fuck should anyone be forced to wear a mask outdoors?
    When you make stupid rules... it hurts compliance with all the rules.

Don't you get it?

Outdoor masks mandates... were going to have tons of non compliance because there is no evidence of statistically significant spread outdoors.

Therefore... you are completely misguided.

#37     Apr 28, 2021
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  8. Ricter

Ricter

Earplugs help prevent the spread of poetry.

#38     Apr 28, 2021
    Tsing Tao likes this.
  9. UsualName

UsualName

First of all I wouldn’t care if I had to wear a mask outdoors because I’m an adult. Second of all we don’t have it here, or at least I don’t think we do because no one wears a mask outdoors.

Lastly, your claim that this anti mask crusade you’re on is based on an outdoor mandate is a lie. You’ve argued against masks from every angle. This is your latest angle.[/QUOTE]

#39     Apr 28, 2021
  10. jem

jem

1. The point of how this started... was compliance.
    You may wear a mask outdoors if you wish...
    But if you wish compliance from non drones... then have data to back it up.

2. How emotional and irrational you are...
    there are virtually zero documented cases of spread outdoors after 150 million cases of Covid... we certainly have not seen statistically meaningful documented outdoor spread.

And now we see doctors and even the new york times stating there is no reason to wear a mask outdoors for normal activity...

and you still "believe" I am wrong.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2021
    #40     Apr 28, 2021
    Tsing Tao likes this.