Promotion or Trade?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by HispaTrader, Jul 18, 2005.

1. If you passion for button pushing on your home computer is in ANY way related to gambling, get help.

Michael B.

#11     Jul 20, 2005
  2. your optimism is encouraging. it reminds me of myself in 1993-5. however, and seriously keep this in mind this job is VERY difficult right now. Traders can barely crack 50-80 year, most are at and around break even this year. if you can handle that, then i say give it a shot. if not, keep it as a fun hobby. just my opinion.

#12     Jul 20, 2005
  3. Hi Michael,

I strongly believe I have the right mind-set for trading and believe that that is what will get me to become a consistent winning trader sooner rather than later. I truly believe that having a successful "game" is 80% mental and 20% strategy. I also believe that most people fail as traders because they do not understand this. They focus on setups and not risk management and psychology.

Thanks for your input.

#13     Jul 20, 2005
  4. HispaTrader,

Did you mention your age? Are you married with a Family? Sorry don't mean to get personal, but its important.

If you posted this earlier, I apologize, I am going to look into your posts deeper now.

Michael B.

#14     Jul 20, 2005
  5. Hispa,

I like this one:

4.. Take the promotion and stop daytrading. Focus on trading off of 120M/daily/weekly charts. This will allow me to continue to grow my trading account.

I believe you know what is the correct choice..listen to that little voice at night before you go to sleep...get a glass of water and drink half of it then go to sleep...in the morning wake up and the first thing you do, is to drink the other half of water out of your half full glass on the bedstand. Then write down your thoughts ok?

Hope this helps.

I wish you the very best in Trading, in whatever path you decide to take.

Michael B.

#15     Jul 20, 2005
  6. Remiraz

Remiraz

Take the promotion.

Start daytrading when you retire or cannot work anymore. Or take ElectricSavant's suggestion and swing trade longer timeframes.

Stable income > Potential income.

During weekends, backtest your strategies. If it really works in all tests then go ahead and trade. Nothing is more important than having cashflow while learning trading.

#16     Jul 20, 2005
  7. Hi there Hispatrader. I just went out and found a job for a trading firm. I'm a Computer Science guy by degree.

This particular firm pays salary while you're in training, so the question of good job vs. trading passion was moot for me.

Maybe you ought to do the same? If you're a good Engineer you shouldn't have too much trouble getting a job with a good trading firm, even if it's only on a trial basis (as long as you've got the passion/drive to learn - since you should already have the problem solving skills.)

#17     Jul 20, 2005
  8. I work a full time job and trade EOD(end of day). The fact that I love my job and make good money is very comforting and allows me to trade "with no baggage or hangups". I have traded full time and part time. And without a doubt my part time trading returns have clobbered my full time returns. Last two years I am up over 20% both years...while holding down a full time gig.

Good luck!

#18     Jul 20, 2005
  9. Think you can get to Senior VP or corporate board at that company, or will the promotion deinitely lead strongly down that path ? If you are on a promotion track and/or you wont be sure until to tackle this job then stick with it .... only leave the industry if you truly feel your path there is dead or will languish.

#19     Jul 20, 2005
  10. Much less...

#20     Jul 20, 2005