Promoting LGBTQ in schools

Discussion in 'Politics' started by ajensen, Nov 8, 2018.

1. ajensen

ajensen

At the public middle school my children attend in Massachusetts, the daily announcements include the following:

Queer-Straight Alliance
    Are you LGBTQ+*? Are you straight? Or do you just really like rainbows? Then come to the Queer-Straight Alliance! At QSA, you can join whether you are an ally or on the LGBTQ+* spectrum. You can talk about anything you’d like and we are all here to help and discuss. [...]
    *Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer, and more

Students who think they are homosexual or who suffer from gender dysphoria should not be harassed in school, and schools should have rules against such harassment. But I do think schools have crossed the line from anti-harassment to LGBTQ lifestyle promotion.

2. Hopefully someone will show up with their MAGA hat on just to mix it up a little.

I bet their little diversity-fest will come to a screeching halt.

:cool:

3. I don't know. Doesn't sound like they're promoting it. It looks like they're just making it more accessible to kids who may be conflicted and don't have anyone to talk to about their feelings. I don't think people can be "promoted" out of their sexual orientation, so I don't see how they can be "promoted" into a different one. Conservatives have repeatedly failed at trying to pray away the gay, so I don't think someone can pray (or promote) their way into it either.

When you were in middle school, do you really think someone could have altered your orientation with fancy brochures and a sales pitch? No. So I'm guessing it's more of a public service announcement. (And I'm also guessing there's no fancy brochures or sales pitches either.) It might make you (and me) a bit uncomfortable because of the way we've been brought up, but think of the support it can provide to kids who need it.

4. I must admit I am fairly liberal leaning but I have to agree with you on the face of it.

Those who have ears to hear (actually gay and looking for a connection) will pay attention to a bi-weekly or monthly mention, daily is pushing it too far IMO into justifiably perceived promotion.

There is a balance, maybe I'm getting old.

5. Okay, I missed the "daily" part. I admit, that is a bit much.

"Bi-weekly?" :D

Slartibartfast likes this.
  6. This is child abuse of the worst sort. Take vulnerable kids and subject them to a barrage of gay indoctrination. It's not like our sick society doesn't try hard enough to sexualize children, and thanks for that Hollywood, you really have done a lot to raise our country's standards, haven't you.

How much more of this crap will people put up with?

7. You do know that children might read your posts..I feel child abused myself with having to look at your bollocks every day. (visual pun intended).

edit: Actually as FF spotted the "bi-weekly" announcement pun :) is a humorous suggestion for them to actually use at the start of the announcement you might use.

Gay kids are just gay, I've seen it growing up, I've seen it in my daughter's school. It is biology, when a little boy acts like a little girl and he is seven, he is gay etc.

It is however reasonable for dads not to have to deal with the 17 year old who developed a crush on his (bit dim) but straight 14 year old son as happened to a friend of mine. Gay kids push straight kids sometimes and if not doing that like a stalker is in the classes also, it should be.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  8. ajensen

ajensen

To clarify, what I quoted appeared in the daily announcements, and I think it appears more than once a week, but it may not appear every single day.

9. Dont forget to donate to the fundraiser for the school's Chicks with Dicks Club.

It's all good.

10. Why, are you hoping to get a bigger budget for your soirees?

#10     Nov 8, 2018