PROMISES, PROMISES: Obama tax pledge up in smoke

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bugscoe, Apr 1, 2009.

1. WASHINGTON (AP) - One of President Barack Obama's campaign pledges on taxes went up in puffs of smoke Wednesday.
    The largest increase in tobacco taxes took effect despite Obama's promise not to raise taxes of any kind on families earning under $250,000 or individuals under $200,000.

This is one tax that disproportionately affects the poor, who are more likely to smoke than the rich.

To be sure, Obama's tax promises in last year's campaign were most often made in the context of income taxes. Not always...

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=D979POSG0&show_article=1

2. Don't ever lose that sense of humor, bugsy.

3. gnome

gnome

Isn't it righteous, then, that taxes be raised on tobacco?

If the poor are more likely to smoke and therefore more likely to have tobacco related health problems... and they are more likely to have poor quality health insurance (or none at all) such that their medical bills are at the taxpayer's expense... Isn't the raise in tobacco taxes justified?

Personally, I'd like to see tobacco taxes raised to the point that only the rich could afford to smoke...

BTW... the poor nor anyone else are FORCED to smoke...

4. How refreshing that we agree once again on something.

5. depends on how you look at it. Smoking related govt costs are rather high. If this reduces smoking some, it may well wind up as overall less cost to all. It is rather well known that the obese, drinkers, smokers and a few others require higher health costs, including to the govt.

On the other hand, smokers who die early are less in need of govt retirement plans, such as FICA.

6. I can't believe that fool gave the Queen an IPOD.

7. Lucrum

Lucrum

I can.

:D

Besides, it's probably all we can afford any more.

8. I agree, I think we should tax registered democrats at a higher rate than republicans to make up for all their tax cheats.

They seem to be the only ones who don't pay them right?

9. It found that 34 percent of respondents earning $6,000 to $12,000 were smokers,,,

------------------------------

Who are the people who fall in this income group? My guess is these people are de facto wards of the state. People on SS or SSI, or subsisting on some form of gov't help. In essence the gov't is taking back.

10. I'm sure they are fast food eaters as well.

Black people have a far higher rate of heart disease due to their diet, so I suppose we should tax popeye's and KFC right?

Can you charge homosexuals for higher health care premiums to offset the cost passed on to everyone else?

I don't smoke but I believe they are the last group that are legally discriminated against.

I'm sure if everyone quit smoking the gov't would find something else to tax to make up the lost revenues. I don't believe for a second they are doing it to help anyone, it's bullshit. They are greedy and want the money and they are the last group they can target to squeeze.

#10     Apr 1, 2009