Prominent Democrat endorses Bush for 2004!

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Maverick74, Jan 13, 2004.

1. Maverick74

Maverick74

http://www.reuters.com/printerFriendlyPopup.jhtml?type=politicsNews&storyID=4122035

Georgia Democratic Sen. Miller to Back Bush
    Tue January 13, 2004 08:04 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - U.S. Sen. Zell Miller, a Georgia Democrat who has frequently broken with his party to support Republican policies, has agreed to campaign for President Bush's reelection, a campaign spokesman said on Tuesday.
    The move gives the campaign a major name for its efforts to organize Democrats for Bush around the country, after a similar push struggled in 2000.

It also represents a further step in the Republican party's effort to solidify its hold on the South, where the retirement of several senior Democratic senators could help Republicans widen their majority in the Senate.

"He (Miller) will serve as a top surrogate for the president this year and help spread the word about the president's leadership," Bush campaign spokesman Scott Stanzel said.

Miller, accompanied by other Georgia Democrats, is to introduce the president at a Bush campaign fundraiser in Atlanta on Thursday, Stanzel said.

Miller representatives were not immediately available for comment. The Georgia Democrat, who said a year ago he would not seek reelection this year, has previously announced his support for Bush's reelection, calling him "the right man at the right time."

The Democratic National Committee dismissed Miller's plans to campaign for Bush. "Zell Miller hasn't helped a Democrat in years, and as my mother always said, don't let the door hit you on the way out," said party spokeswoman Debra DeShong.

2. i give it 6 mos before McCain becomes an independent...

3. I'll take that bet. Why would he want to leave a position as a senior member of the majority in the Senate? Remember when Jeffords jumped, it gave the Senate back to Dem's so he was not going to the minority. This might not seem important but in congressional politics, it is huge.

Also, I imagine McCain sees himself as the frontrunner for '08 nomination.

4. AAA! true, true, but...Bung could be right.:) Again it depend's on McCain's motive/larger picture:confused: Could setup a splinter vote, AND re- endorse it back to GOP close to election time:cool: "cookies crumble funny" lately

:D Brother Maverick! how about that poll? longshot's poll coupla posts above.. :D acceptable??:D

5. Maverick74

Maverick74

Nolan, I think that poll is right on. Makes perfect sense to me. Most people in this country DO like Bush's character and they think he is a man of integrity and honor. Now considering that 40% of Americans are registered democrats and 40% of Americans are registered republicans, that leaves the 20% in the middle split which is about right. That is how you get 50% of the people saying they think a democrat would be better on domestic issues. So I would have to say that poll appears to be pretty accurate.

6. Wishful thinking Democrats said the same thing about McCain after he lost the 2000 nomination. The thing these Democrats (who wish he were an independent to split the Republican vote) fail to understand about McCain is that he is a soldier, and when you're a political soldier, loyalty is right up at the top of the list.

McCain wants to be President. If he plays his cards right he will have the full machinery of the Republican party backing him in 2008. Why would he want to mess this up in the short-term when his long-term disagreements with the party line have gone on for decades? It is only retiring politicians like Zell Miller who have nothing to lose, who can actually go out and do as their conscience dictates.

7. Noted and agreed!:) fair answer:)
    I'll have to add, Bush admitting that O' Neil was telling the truth about Iraq invasion on president's sights from the getgo "as soon as he took office", does show signs of integrity.:D :cool:

What'd ya think about that?
    http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&postid=408936#post408936

8. I have to laugh at all the propaganda that get's posted by these so called news agencies....." Prominent Democrat"??? come one...even as a republican, I have to admit this is no big deal and that it's worthless....It probably helps Miller more then it does Bush....and the cnn poll????? WTF????? LOL:p

9. I read this as a non-political event because the Republicans can blame it on Clinton since the US government policy from 1998 has been "regime change".

#10     Jan 14, 2004