Prominent Atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by Grandluxe, Jun 22, 2012.

1. http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...st-blogger-converts-to-catholicism/?hpt=hp_t3

Prominent atheist blogger converts to Catholicism

By Dan Merica, CNN
    Washington (CNN) – She went from atheist to Catholic in just over 1,000 words.

Leah Libresco, who’d been a prominent atheist blogger for the religion website Patheos, announced on her blog this week that after years of debating many “smart Christians,” she has decided to become one herself, and that she has begun the process of converting to Catholicism.

Libresco, said that at the heart of her decision were questions of morality and how one finds a moral compass.

“I had one thing that I was most certain of, which is that morality is something we have a duty to,” Libresco told CNN in an interview this week, a small cross dangling from her neck. “And it is external from us. And when push came to shove, that is the belief I wouldn’t let go of. And that is something I can’t prove.”

“There was one religion that seemed like the most promising way to reach back to that living Truth,” Libresco wrote about Catholicism in her conversion announcement post, which has been shared over 18,000 times on Facebook. “I asked my friend what he suggests we do now, and we prayed the night office of the Liturgy of the Hours together.”

At the end of the post, Libresco announces that she is in a Rite of Christian Initiation of Adults class and is preparing for baptism. She will continue to blog for Patheos, but under the banner, “A geeky convert picks fights in good faith.”

http://religion.blogs.cnn.com/2012/...st-blogger-converts-to-catholicism/?hpt=hp_t3

2. jcl

jcl

Atheism is not for anyone.

3. Mav88

Mav88

It's interesting, she needed a source of morality. That's an odd reason to suddenly believe in the catholic god. It's not rational IMO, it's emotional, which is the very situation we say is the problem. ah well, doesn't matter to me, to each their own, good luck to her.