Progressive Consumption Tax

Discussion in 'Economics' started by oldtime, Aug 19, 2012.

1. nobody has any concept of doing with less. They don't teach it in college, they never talk about it on tv. Everybody needs more and more growth to survive. Yet this is not the way we really live our personal lives. We have enough kids and then that is enough. A dog, a cat and maybe a bird and then we say, "Enough growth", we get a house big enough, but we don't keep building bigger and bigger houses. Yes some do, but that is not normal. Yet when it comes to the economy the only thing anybody knows is more and more, So like I said, I want my government to be pro growth, but I want my fellow citizens to be anti growth like me. Not really anti growth, just questioning if more growth is actually better. And more importantly questioning what the future would be like if we constantly got by on less and less

#11     Aug 19, 2012
  2. morganist

morganist Guest

Also all of the suggestions I make are not something I would necessarily recommend apart from in the most desperate of circumstances. The fact is I really think the economic situation is about to become so dire people might have to use them. They are not suggestions I would make in the past twenty to thirty years but I have to be realistic about the situation I think will happen.

Can I ask have you been surprised how accurate my predictions have been over the years?

Think back to my predictions about the economic strategies and how they would fail and my explanations to why. They have largely come true.

#12     Aug 19, 2012
  3. you can't buy poor quality weed anymore, even if you wanted to.

#13     Aug 19, 2012
  4. Well just because I'm bored tonite I'll throw my hair brained scheme into the mix:

The Patriotic Occupy Success Tax, or POS Tax

It works like this:

A one time wealth tax where if you have a net worth over 10 mil or once you attain that,

You pay 1%.

If you made that money because you are in banking or hedge funds, you pay 2%.

If you made that money because you are on tv or media, sports, or print, you pay 3%.

If you want to serve in government, you pay 4%.

The rest can follow Herman cain's 999 plan.

Deficit solved, business encouraged, greedy people of influence can either pay for the privilege or STFU.

#14     Aug 19, 2012
  5. I like it, the problem is getting the politicians who will have to pay 4% to pass it.

We could call it the STFU tax.

#15     Aug 19, 2012
  6. Well I like the dual connotation of POS...

Perhaps it could be put to referendum....

It would prevent the true scumbags from "serving", while at the same time acknowledging the genius and investment success of the Harry greids of the world

#16     Aug 19, 2012
  7. Eight

Eight

Consumption tax is progressive by it's nature. People with more money consume more and pay more taxes... just a flat consumption tax on everything and publicly owned banks would fix nearly every problem the US economy has.

#17     Aug 19, 2012
  8. oh no no my friend, consider the young couple starting out that need a washer and dryer, you can bet that will be 100% or more of their weekly income if not their monthly income. How many washer and dryers can Bill Gates buy? Consumption is the most regressive of all taxes.

#18     Aug 19, 2012
  9. Bob111

Bob111

what's the point to have any tax ideas? you can come up with anything,but it's kind of pointless, cause those ideas are not going to be implemented anyway..
    ideas about adapting to existing tax code-IMO makes much more sense.
    Bon Jovi with his bee hives, and zero property tax ,mentioned by me in another thread imo more practical..:p

#19     Aug 19, 2012
  10. Eight

Eight

"regressive"... wow, that says it all.

#20     Aug 20, 2012