Programs and the Stock Index Futures

Discussion in 'Index Futures' started by SethArb, May 12, 2005.

1. curious if anyone who has been daytrading

the ER2 , YM , ES , NQ for more than 1 year

( not necc. on a daily basis )

thinks that their ability to trade ( the S.I.F. ) successfully

has been affected positively or negatively

by the continued amount of programs that hit

the S.I.F. on a daily basis. and if they have had to tweak or
    adjust their timeframe intraday because of it.

2. sorry to be dumb but what is s.i.f.

3. Hi Setharb,

As of late, many rather precise questions along these lines seem to pop up. Do you believe anybody answering these can be taken seriously? Your question is certainly a valid one, but, at least in my case, it took a lot of sweat to get to know anything sensible about this.

Be good,
    nononsense

4. Truff

Truff

My guess is stands for stock Index futures. As far as the program trading. At first it was a pain in the ass but i have learned to take advantage of it. If you follow price action only it shouldnt make much of a difference.

5. boy that was obvious....

i trade the index arb on the openings and it works a couple of times a month...

intraday the futures just try to push the trend or gang up on support or resistence levels...

as for making it harder to trade i think it's a matter of the black box or arb firms splitting the p&l slimer and thinner...

also low interest rates make the slop smaller in relation to the baskets so they are fighting in an ever smaller arena...

just what i think...

6. I trade the extended hours and it can be brutal if you fight them. You just have to be able to recognize the people who execute them.