programming

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by will_jay, Apr 26, 2004.

1. will_jay

will_jay

hey guys,

I was looking at WealthLab, which from what I've heard is a really good place to start developing systems and such, and it requires you to know how to program with syntax.

I know that learning how to program is going to take a HELL of a lot of time, just from past experiences with courses in Visual Basics. So I'm woundering if its worth learning Syntax or is there a more useful script.. like C++.. ?? Is there much difference in where they are used? or does anyone know exactly how I should start with this... :)

ty ty ^_^

2. Here is the deal with regard to programming.

It is like learning to use a power drill, or an orbital sander, or even a sewing machine. You can learn how to be great with all of these tools, but you need to know exactly what you want to do with them before you can use them with any effectiveness.

A programming language is a tool. I would suggest quantifying exactly what you want to do with programming by constructing a flowchart or a plan written out in plain english "pseudo-code". Then you can learn to program this plan into your selected language. The flowchart or pseudo-code acts as your blueprint.

Good luck.

3. dchang0

dchang0

If you're new to programming, you'll find C++ to be extremely daunting. Visual Basic is easier, though still very tough. You should try your hand first at simpler languages like pseudocode, then step up to Metastock or Amibroker's easy proprietary languages, then TradeStation's EasyLanguage, ESignal's proprietary Javascript-like language or WealthLab's proprietary Pascal-like language. From there you can step up to the "full featured" programming languages like C#.NET, which is used by QuantStudio .NET. You will want to get up and running with a working trading system sooner and not have to slog through months of tedious programming books and classes, which will quickly kill your motivation. As you gain experience and sophistication in programming, you can graduate from simpler languages to harder ones as you start to run into the (frustrating) limitations of the simpler languages.

4. gwb-trading

gwb-trading

For those who are not programmers, Wealth-Lab has a number of incorporated tools that can help you get up to speed quickly. These include WL tool functions that can automatically generate code for common indicators, complete language reference manuals, and excellent examples of scripts that can be downloaded directly from the website into your desktop WL environment.

Using WL will be a lot easier then trying to learn another language such as C++ from scratch and creating trading scripts.

- Greg

5. nkhoi

nkhoi

how long it take , say 6 month for each language you list, that should go well over 3 years before he reach his goal.

6. Luto

Luto

If you don't know what to say (goal) then don't open your mouth (code).

A little but everyday is better than a bunch one day and then one for 3 days.

Cheers.:D

7. Very nicely said. Thanks. I tought Easylanguage was the easiest
    out there. Me with no programing background at all, start picking
    up easylanguage after a monthe practicing.
    First month will be the toughest month, until you learn how
    to put togather some simple but multiple conditions & actions.

8. No need to program with altistock (btw it's free at the moment) : you can do candlestick, backtesting of several portfolios, create your own indicators etc...

BUT

you need to learn ... french :D

Bibliothèques d'indicateurs paramétrables:
    Moyennes mobiles, simples, exponentielles, pondérées.
    RSI, MACD, MACD histogramme.
    Bandes de Bollinger.
    Parabolique SAR.
    DMI, ADX, True Range.
    Stochastiques %K, %D , %R.
    Volume OBV, ACCDIS, PVI, NVI, CCI.
    TRIX, Momentum, ROC, moindres carrés, écart type.
    True range, Money Flow, Ease of Movement.
    Advance Decline sur cours et volumes, cumulé, Mass Index.
    Distribution des cours/volume.
    ABAND (visualisation des zones d'achat/vente)
    Force relative, corrélation.
    Personnalisation des listes d'indicateurs .
    Multiples formes de courbe: simple, chandeliers (simple, continu, équivolume), intervalles, points, histogrammes, bar-graphes, tirets. Paramétrage des graphiques. Clônage des paramètres.

Création d'indicateurs techniques :
    1000 formules boursières supplémentaires possibles avec les opérations arithmétiques (+, -, x, /...) opérations logiques (et, ou, not...) mettant en oeuvre les indicateurs d'analyse technique prédéfinis (MMA, RSI, MACD,....) dérivés des fonctions mathématiques de base (max, min, sum,....). voir page de définition des formules d'analyse technique.
    Ecriture simplifiée des formules d'analyse technique. Directives de paramétrage des graphiques.
    Coloriage syntaxique des formules et des imbrications de parenthèses.

Affichage des graphiques:
    Zooms: 1 mois à 10 ans. Loupes x2, x3 et x4.
    Affichage de la variation en % par rapport à un curseur de référence. Curseur vertical/horizontal avec affichage dynamique des valeurs et indicateurs. Curseur dynamique horizontal/vertical.
    Tracé de droites (nombre de lignes illimité): Droites simples, droites parallèles (support, résistance, canal). Droites des moindres carrés. Retracement de fibonacci par rapport à valeur. Canaux automatique et manuel. Droites de résistance et de support.
    Tracé de figures (nombre d'objets illimité): texte, cartouches, rectangles, ellipses et fannions.
    Fonctions de gestion:
    Edition des groupes de valeurs. Importation de fichiers de définition des groupes de valeurs.
    Gestion de 12 portefeuilles (journal,frais de courtage, plus values). Feuilles transactions et portefeuille. Création des groupes de valeurs associés.
    Manuel intégré au programme. Mise à jour automatique du manuel à partir du Web.
    Barre de commande et d'outils masquable pour une meilleure lisibilité des graphiques.
    Mémorisation des tailles et positions des fenêtres pour une meilleure ergonomie.
    Génération de png, gif et bmp pour une valeur ou pour un groupe de valeurs (pour site Web).
    Fonction auto-test du programme (tests sur indicateurs techniques) et sur génération des graphiques.
    Importation des cours:
    Support de la nouvelle codification ISINimportation des cours, conversion ISIN<->Sicovam, gestion des groupes et des portefeuilles, simulations. Les deux codifications peuvent coexister dans le programme si cela est souhaité.
    Importation des cours à partir d'un fichier texte (format libre).
    Reconnaissance automatique du format de fichier importé (création de profils d'importation).
    Recherche automatique des splits, modification des splits.
    Modification manuelle des cours, suppression des cours entre deux dates.
    Exportation des cours sous format fichiers texte.

9. I intend to use it again when I will need it to preselect stocks for my model. Then maybe I will explain how it works in english. I avoid to use programming when it is not necessary I'm not fond of that personnaly when something has to been done quickly for work nor am I fond to pay a programmer :D. I like programming when it is for leisure only then I don't even care to do assembly langage :).

#10     Apr 28, 2004