programming language designed for trading?

Discussion in 'Strategy Building' started by falconair, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Murray Ruggiero

Murray Ruggiero Sponsor

TradersStudio basic is a cross between EasyLanguage and classic basic. We can also translate EasyLanguage into our language and run existing EasyLanguage code.

If you not into programming TradersStudio 2.5.X comes with a programming wizard which allows you to develop systems, indicators, money management strategies, even macro's that control the program using drag and drop. No programming required. Just fill in the boxes for the components you are combining into a visual tree.

#31     Oct 13, 2007
  2. We have a built in QuickFIX engine, and we can connect to TT FIX out of the box, though I was not talking about FIX connectivity here, but about FIX business object model. We have developed our core API having FIX model in mind, so that our Instrument class is in fact FIX Instrument block, our Order class is FIX OrderSingle, etc.

Regards,
    Anton

#32     Oct 13, 2007
  3. This is the worst sort of Elitetrader gibberish. I wonder if the poster knows anything about OCaml (sic; not "O'Caml"), Erlang, et al -- or if he could even understand the Jane St presentations http://osp2007.janestcapital.com/ he references. Maybe he could post a few lines of original code he's written in these various languages. Or maybe not, given that he can't even spell the names correctly.

#33     Oct 13, 2007
  4. rosy2

rosy2

i use python with scipy and rpy. i cant think of anything better or quicker to develop in. speed has never been an issue and where it has there is swig or boost.python to extend it. as for FIX, quickfix has a python interface but usually companies connect to exchange via c++ and then broadcast using a more compressed(in house) version of FIX.

I like Ocaml too (maybe because its different) but for practical purposes its barely used anywhere. The lexer seems quite easy though; so a specialized language for trading written in Ocaml might be a cool project.

#34     Oct 13, 2007
  5. Bravo. This is succinct, correct and useful.

#35     Oct 13, 2007
  6. Gyles

Gyles

The programming language required for any trading system should fulfill the following:

• The inputs and outputs should be clear and easy to understand
    • Provision for good charting systems (graphs) should be there, wherein you can visualize the data ups and downs
    • Moreover, calculations need to be accurate and reflect the actual market standings
    • There should be way to view previous data (historical data) for analysis. Therefore, some sort of backups is required wherein you can restore your data if the need so arises.
    • Moreover, it should be one that can do the automated tasks for you without your intervention, whether you are present or not. It should be able to run and save all the results.

The last point is of significance and needs to be elaborated upon through an example.

Supposing, you wish to optimize 5 different systems and save all the results, each optimization takes around 2 hrs. Therefore, this shall take up 10 hours. Moreover, you require all these results to be printed (so another few hours). Thus, around 15 hours taken, which means the entire day is almost gone and tied up with.

However, you could write a macro, which runs each test and prints also for each of the system; without your intervention (even while sleeping!). Hence, the usefulness of such a system can be further noted down wherein you can decide to reun different test based on the performance of similar ones (for example, testing different markets to minimize drawdown which is the difference of Maximum profit and Current Profit (Maximum profit - Current Profit).

#36     Nov 2, 2007
  7. Hello Have you tried Visual´s Chart, vba module.

code example.

If .GetMarketPosition(0) = 0 And .Close > .GetIndicatorValue(BollingerBandsData, 0, 2) Then
    .Buy AtMarket, ContractsNumber
    End If
    If .GetMarketPosition(0) = 0 And .Close < .GetIndicatorValue(BollingerBandsData, 0, 3) Then
    .Sell AtMarket, ContractsNumber
    End If
    If .GetMarketPosition(0) = 1 And .Close < .GetIndicatorValue(BollingerBandsData) Then
    .ExitLong AtClose, ContractsNumber
    End If
    If .GetMarketPosition(0) = -1 And .Close > .GetIndicatorValue(BollingerBandsData) Then
    .ExitShort AtClose, ContractsNumber

If you want more information I could provide you some.

Mikel

#37     Nov 2, 2007
  8. I've never had to spend more than 20-60 minutes on an optimization and that was while testing 5000 stocks at a time while using Amibroker.

#38     Nov 2, 2007
  9. Pretty slick. Where can I see more information on this ?

#39     Nov 2, 2007
  10. Hello.

I am not sure if I can post the link here.
    There a message in your pm box.

Mikel

#40     Nov 2, 2007