Programming for Traders

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by arold_ite, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Thanks for the link Waterloo. I read the first book a while ago and I've just ordered the second book.

I'm sure they're both great books in their own right. It's just that I see so many questions from traders regarding basic programming techniques, I'm sure there must be a market for this kind of thing.

Thanks again
    Arold

#11     Jun 19, 2006
  2. there's certainly a demand for programming in the trading world and some schools like IIT in Chicago offer degrees specifically for engineering in the trading environment. alot of the programming is getting canned though and easier and easier for the user. API's are becoming very user friendly and 'programming' is too broadly used a term. perhaps 'macro management' within an excel universe is all must users needs. perhaps very simple GUI via visual basic is all that's needed.

#12     Jun 19, 2006
  3. Absolutely, I've struggled with this topic myself. I'm a systems guy, give me the big picture then the details. I've found many trading books focus too much on specific details, without much of a context. Nothing is start of finish, this is how you do things, so I get stuck or get off on some other topic. Granted the topic of program trading is, or can be, quite large.

I think the approach has to be, "hey I have (some) tech skills, but I want to get into trading, where do I start"?
    Give the reader the basic steps on how to build a software trading strategy. Use the whole book to build a really good base. ( A programmer's introduction to program trading, if you will)

Then if that sells- and I'm convinced it will - do an advanced or as Wrox Press calls it, "Professional" version.
    There you can focus on implementing Monte Carlo or whatever, You get the idea.

Just look at the software engineers around ET(like me), most of us don't know where to start. We've got some tech skills but no direction. That's the market you want to address I believe.

I would buy it. So there's one sale.
    Hell, I'll read the drafts. :)

BTW, here's another one that I've got my eyes on.

http://www.springer.com/west/home/c...GWID=4-40007-22-52092838-detailsPage=ppmmedia|toc

#13     Jun 19, 2006
  4. #14     Jun 20, 2006
  5. good idea. I would be interested in an intro programming book specifically for traders

#15     Jun 20, 2006
  6. This is agreat idea...andif done well, should be a great seller. What language do you propose to base the book on?

#16     Jun 20, 2006
  7. ellokn

ellokn

I will buy it! Seriously, there is market for it.

Talk to the folks at Wiley's Trader Press Division. (Not sure that is the exact name, but John Wiley and Son's has a division dealing with trading education books. )

#17     Jun 20, 2006
  8. It's great idea and you're sit'in on a cash cow.

A good book, teaching basic programming concepts and integrating them with basic trading concepts.

Then at least one (or more) advanced modules for programming the specific details according to the type of instrument(s) traded:

Futures
    (Intra-day and Swing trading)
    Stocks
    (Swing trading and long-term investment)
    Options
    (Straight Puts, Calls, etc.)
    Fixed Income
    (Intrest + Appreciation)
    Forex
    (Same)

and you're look'in at a mint, depending on how much work you want to put into it:

If you write, they will buy.

Best,

Jimmy

P.S. I know I would, guaranteed. Believe me, after spending three years sitting here hashing out my system and having to sit and watch and wait for the setups, take'em and then monitor the markets ... if I could spend the next three years learning how to program which could deliver at least 80% of my real time results (with all the necessary variables, protections and security) and it is not platform dependent (heard not so good things about Tradestation) yeah, I would pay good money for it!

#18     Jun 20, 2006
  9. Written for C++ developers hopefully... That or at least an extremely fast language capable of handling trading tasks.

#19     Jun 20, 2006
  10. Thanks for the feedback guys, it’s really appreciated.

I’m going to do some more research before committing myself completely. I have some really good ideas about how to approach the subject of ‘learning to program’ strictly within the context of trading.

In terms of languages, I will probably base it either on VB.Net or C#, mainly because these languages are easy to learn, have masses of help and support resources on the web and are completely FREE! Of course, C++ would be a preferred language in a commercial, high-frequency environment, but I’m not sure that the very steep learning curve could be justified, especially given that many traders will probably be looking for instant gratification and will want to be up and running in a short space of time.

I’m thinking of basing the book around one or two specific projects, much the same as some existing ‘how to program’ books do. But of course, in this case, the projects being built would be geared totally towards developing frameworks for back-testing and automatic trading, etc.

Somebody else mentioned that as this is such a specific area, the number of sales might not justify the effort and expense and it may be difficult to find a publisher willing to take on the risk. I’m kind of leaning towards this opinion myself. However, I guess there is always the self-publishing route.

Anyway, I’m babbling now! Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

Arold

#20     Jun 20, 2006