Programming for idiots

Discussion in 'App Development' started by slug, Dec 19, 2012.

1. You have no idea what you are talking about.

Software development is not about "basics"...
    It's about advanced problem solving skills...
    Which take 10,000 hours to develop (if you have the talent)...
    Just like any other serious professional discipline.

#31     Dec 22, 2012
  2. 2rosy

2rosy

it is about the basics. if you know the foundation you can pick up anything quickly. If you dont know the basics you end up memorizing and continually learning proprietary tools.

I worked for big trading operations in a programming capacity and everyone had the basics down, even the traders (who were probably better programmers than most "programmers"). Its people like you who are the IT(ish) part that make things overly complicated.

Yes, it takes a 10000 hours to be good overall but it only takes 50 hours if you're only looking for an answer to a problem.

#32     Dec 22, 2012
  3. 50 hours to make money

10,000 hours to figure out if you keep doing that eternally over time you will lose your ass

#33     Dec 22, 2012
  4. Craig66

Craig66

To add to an already somewhat redundant argument, you obviously need the full spectrum of skills, you have to start with the basics of course, but to solve any complex problem you're going to need lots of advanced skills (distributed programming, networking, state machines, error handing, data handling etc), that stuff doesn't happen overnight.

#34     Dec 22, 2012
  5. I am a trader who is very familiar w several of the automated platforms and do this on a daily basis and my main source of income... As it is automated I can free up some time

If someone has something profitable and can proof it... I will program it for free assuming we can come to some agreement on myself Getting a cut of the strategy

I even can offer a ton of buying power as my firm gives me quite a bit

* I can provide references / trading records... Whatever you need

#35     Dec 23, 2012
  6. Agreed - although I think you can overcome the speed problem with the 64 bit NT on Win 7

I built a 4 CPU box, loaded it up with memory and overclocked the processors

Runs pretty quick - 2x, maybe 3x better than NT 6.5 on a 32 bit OS

#36     Dec 23, 2012
  7. Still a memory hog, Uses dozens of GB during optimization because they keep all the stuff in memory instead of dumping it into a database. That they use the slow / badly garbage collected .net 2.0 does not help.

Our own framework is file based, database based and grid capable - we slowly roll it out now on pretty much all machines in the office that have more than 2 cores (it can run in the background). THAT is performance.

#37     Dec 24, 2012
  8. +1.
    Have seen millions of dollars wasted on unnecessary complex tech stupidity, and as a result I now tend to prototype stuff in a spreadsheet / VBA as much as possible purely to avoid any interaction with that backward IT puzzle palace.

Just solve this problem.

Don't build me a "platform".

#38     Dec 25, 2012
  9. programming is easy... trigonometry is harder than programming.

it's just repeating the same lego blocks over and over again. ofcourse you can optimize and it becomes complicated, but you dont have to do that. simple but bloated is best for you.

#39     Dec 25, 2012
  10. hft_boy

hft_boy

+1

#40     Dec 25, 2012