Programmer Wanted

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by FxFxFx, Aug 25, 2012.

1. jcl

jcl

FXCM has the advantage of free API and free tick price data. But I was hoping some users would write plugins for other brokers, as it's pretty easy. But if that does not happen, we'll do it. Suggestions about which brokers you want to have implemented can be posted on the Zorro forum.

#11     Aug 30, 2012
  2. KGTrader

KGTrader

Hi Jcl, Thanks for the link with the different programming-languages performance
    comparisons. Indeed Python is slow compared to C. I tend to push all the
    performance critical staff from Python to C++.

Regards
    KG

#12     Aug 30, 2012
  3. i don't understand why people write entire programs... just use ninjatrader and write C# scripts directly to it...... everything is already there...

#13     Aug 30, 2012
  4. Mr_You

Mr_You

I'll never say NinjaTrader or other programs are perfect, but to answer your question from my point of view...

Its mostly because arrogant programmers enjoy re-inventing the wheel thinking they can do things better. They enjoy the challenge and their "reinvention success" re-enforces their ego. Smart engineers know to use the best tool for the job to "just get work done" (and profits) sooner than later.

Unfortunately many clients of these arrogant programmers don't know any better and end up wasting their money allowing these wheels to be re-invented. Now if we're talking big financial institutions, thats entirely different. There is often a requirement for lots of customization, flexibility, and accountability.

#14     Aug 30, 2012
  5. i totally agree!!! i've done programming myself.. i'm a total noob.. just a few years into programming.. but its just like a lawyer trying to make business for himself....... the whole "its better to just start from scratch bit" forget that! use a framework.... so that you can have good standards and as well if you use another developer you have some place easy to pick up from... not just a bunch of spaghetti that made sense to the original developer.. making you more proprietorially involved with the first developer.. always have to remember.. Developers are just going to advise you to spend more money with them.. plus you can always dump out into CSVs and migrate from one trading platform to accounting software... use a langauge that has good saturation in the development world.. that is very lower level "access to resourses" and use a standardized framework. . C languages!

#15     Aug 30, 2012
  6. jcl

jcl

The reason is simple: You have to write a program when you can't buy it.

This is the case with the current state of automated trading software, and is the reason why serious traders and trading firms use their own platforms for that. The retail trading platforms on the market are slow, instable, and lack essential features. They may be good enough for discretionary trading, but not for automated.

Look here for the whole discussion: http://www.elitetrader.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=247650&perpage=6&pagenumber=5

#16     Aug 31, 2012
  7. i see i see.. me no know what i talkie about! haha i'm not trading on that level.. for me ninja trader enables me to create some custom indicators with simplicity.. i do not automatedly trade..... i read the thread. it all makes sense.. i must sound like the ultimate retail noob.. for good reason though haha

#17     Aug 31, 2012