Programmer monthly rate (Java multithreading IB Platform)

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by Chronos.Phenomena, Oct 6, 2010.

1. Finally warning:
    YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

#11     Oct 7, 2010
  2. januson

januson

LOL... try get a programmer for such money. I don't believe it's trivial to program such IB multithreaded.

The best you can do is the ask for some code and review it, I guess you will find that the best code costs the most. i.e. 15-20/month

Good luck

#12     Oct 7, 2010
  3. Ok guys... Let's open up the cards...

I already engaged with a programmer who got the money but the product is half finished.... Im not happy at all. Now I'm considering two options.

a) open up the code (two months work) and found a open source project. And hope that hood programmers may be interested... In the end... It's not e infrastructure which makes a profit but the models implemented trough the infrastructure

B) find someone (poor soul like me) team up and hire a decent programmer

C) hire a decent programmer myself and pay a lot of money (savings)

#13     Oct 7, 2010
  4. I work with 8-12 programmers at any given time. All in NYC Metro area. I think I know the market pretty well. Some get splits, some get projects on an hourly/contract basis and some are on staff.

Your estimates are high. I know programmers have egos but usually when they display that during the interview/consult process I pass. No offense but "you get what you pay for" is the furthest thing from the truth in this space.

YMMV

#14     Oct 7, 2010
  5. Interesting !

Where Do you outsource? Would you recommend someone?

#15     Oct 7, 2010
  6. I use a lot of kids from NYU and Columbia University for cheap projects then summer interns (some paid some unpaid) are always good/cheap.

For someone full time year round, as I mentioned previously I would suggest looking at the websites I posted as well as individuals in the Gaming industry. For project based just look at the reviews on hiredesk and getacoder.

Again, from my epxerience, I'll never hire an outside programmer that's also a trader simply because of the conflict of interest.

#16     Oct 7, 2010
  7. There's some truth in this, that people don't always get what they pay for, but you're writing like someone who doesn't really understand good code and figures what works is good code. If you don't believe me that pay matters -- look at your turnover rates.

A good developer spends a lot more time talking to the user than programming. The best developers can translate between "nerd" and what the user needs to hear.

#17     Oct 7, 2010
  8. Most of what I do is project based on larger applications. I outsource many smaller pieces that all need to integrate into a larger sum. I understand exactly what you mean - and that's an argument I hear all day every day. IMHO, its BS. I do agree that a good coder would understand enough of a baseline to be able to build upon what has been started vs. start from scratch every change/project - however don't pull the "what works is good code" on me.

Also - most of the guys I work with can not translate between "nerd" and the user. I guess my experience must be different than most.

#18     Oct 7, 2010
  9. You are right big time.

Team leaders and/or project managers that have the respect and confidence of both the users and the programmers are a rarity and many times unappreciated by upper management. Yet their projects are more likely to come in on time and under budget and most important, with fewer required repairs. Competent code also permits enhancements at far less cost.

#19     Oct 7, 2010
  10. Call it project management if you like (you're right, to a great extent it is).

Find a programmer who can write system specifications and design and that's 9/10's of the battle. Pay him whatever he wants.

The reason that this fellow had his job half finished and isn't happy is likely because he went into this with inadequate specs, no flowchart or design, no UI design, no testing strategy, no deployment strategy and said to the programmer "build it."

#20     Oct 7, 2010