Programmable real-time market scanner

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by I$land, Jul 19, 2007.

1. eagle

eagle

What about IB? Any plan for future product?

#31     Feb 25, 2008
  2. Schonsite

:)

#32     Feb 27, 2008
  3. I use Tradestation radar. I scan about 900 stocks in real time.

Ninja trader also has a good scanner than can pretty much do what tradestation can and its free. I personally like tradestation better as it appears to be more stable

if your going to scan a lot of stocks you will need a super big rig to do it. I had a dell desktop with 2 gig of ram be brought to its knees.

I now use a dell workstation dual xeon 3.2 gig with 4 gig of ramm and a 10K speed SCSI hard drive with a dual Nvida card and another nvida video card. the new dell seems to crank it out well.

#33     Feb 27, 2008
  4. patch227

patch227

cunparis
    You can add a scanning page to IB which has quite a few basic filters. It is pretty limited but IMHO almost the same as what eSignal tries to charge $59 with eSignal for.

A big misconception is scanning vs watchlists.

TradeStation radar screen is a watchlist monitor. It can only "scan" 1000 stocks for scans you write in EasyLanguage. RadarScreen is a great product but it is not a scanner. EasyLanguage is superior to eSignal's EFS language which you can also use to write "scans" as TradeStation allows you to use the formulas on quote windows whereas eSignal has to be applied to a chart. I was speaking to some eSignal guys recently and apparently upgrading eSignal, the TurboScanner and EFS is not a priority at the moment. They are concentrating more on capturing retail clients. However their CEO reamed out their tech dept and told them to get their shit together and fix intraday stock splits so at least there is one little thing that will improve.

md2952 You can probably use Trade Ideas for your scan but not on the timing. You will have to clear the windows at 9.49.

Andy Kershner thanks for the info. I will look into Insight, it looks very promising but your website does need a lot more info. An issue I have is that I do not want to change broker or charting package. I just want a standalone scanner. It looks like insight may be able to do this but for that price it will have to be very good and very easy to program. I don't want to have to learn another language seeing as I havehad to learn VBA, javascript/EFS and Java from scratch just to trade the way I want to.

Deebee230
    Schoonsite also looks interesting but again I do not want to have to go through the whole mission of changing brokers and charting packages just to get a scanner.

#34     Mar 5, 2008
  5. henry76

henry76

I recommend radarscreen , I'm pretty sure it's the best for intraday rt scans , you don't have to open an account either , go through site map to "subscription only plans".
    p.s. In reply to previouse post , I believe radarscreen is a true scan and not just a watch list , the criteria that can be scanned continousley in rt can be written by oneself and extremly complex if that is what is required, hard to believe anyone who has used radarscreen thinks of it as just a watch list .

#35     Mar 5, 2008
  6. patch227

patch227

There are more than 7000 US stocks .

When I subscribed to RadarScreen you could scan a maximum of 1000 symbols. Therefore RadarScreen scans a "watchlist" i.e. a list of 1000 symbols that you have to specify. (unless this has changed it is a watchlist scanner).

Compare this with Trade Ideas which scans all stocks in the market i.e. more than 7000

Therefore
    RadarScreen = watchlist scanner
    Trade Ideas = market scanner

#36     Mar 5, 2008
  7. What set up are you trying to find or is that proprietary?

#37     Mar 5, 2008
  8. henry76

henry76

patch227,
    With radarscreen you can scan 7000 stocks if your prepared to pay for it/ have enough accounts with tradestation. As regards wether one can interpret a particuler software as a watchlist as opposed to a rt scan because of the number of stocks one can scan/watch is semantics , and bad semantics at that , radarscreen scans stocks( amongst other instruments) in real time , therefore I call it a "real time scanner".

#38     Mar 6, 2008
  9. Tradestation's a real time watchlist scanner.If they start calling it a market scanner I hope you have a trade's description act in america.Semantics ARE important because it can be used to suck the punters in with false promises.People are starting to realise how user friendly .net languages have become.It's less work to learn vb.net than 'easylanguage' imo.These vendors are going to go to the wall within 3 years.

http://www.devcity.net/Articles/348/1/article.aspx

With codeitright you can check and repair your own code (see above).vb.net and c#

#39     Mar 23, 2008
  10. kenten

kenten

can any of these scanners scan international stock markets realtime?
    anyone using such a service?

#40     May 14, 2008