Program Trading

Discussion in 'Automated Trading' started by XCXC007, May 4, 2006.

1. XCXC007

XCXC007

I am getting several disconnections from Activ Quotes when I am running my program trading. It is a heavy program so I am running it on a Dual CPU computer with 2 Gig Ramm. I am running it from a remote location and using a cable modem. My internet speed is around 700 Mbps. The techinicians have mentioned that the problem is probably my internet speed so I plan on upgrading to maybe a T-1.

Does anyone have any suggestions or feedback on T-1? .

Thx

2. rosy

rosy

you dont go from cable to t1. thats a huge jump that you probably dont need. you can lease lines.

3. XCXC007

XCXC007

I have never heard of leasing lines?? I called a couple of companies and they said it costs anywhere from $250- $500 a month for them to give me a dedicated t-1 or a partial.

4. lrm

lrm

XCXC007,

Is your cable bandwidth 700kbps up and down? A T1 will give you symetric bandwidth of 1.4mbps, essentially double the bandwidth. This biggest difference is that cable systems share bandwidth amongst a customer group, whereas a T1 is a circuit that is specific to you. Have you measured how much bandwidth you're program is using? You should be able to easily see this on the machine that you are trading from.

5. There are a lot of "Dual Broadband" modems on the market.

You can get an additional DSL service...
    Plug the Cable and DSL into the Dual Modem...
    And "in theory" your bandwidth is doubled.

I tried this and had many problems with the Xincom router which is now a paperweight...
    So IMO...
    You may have to experiment with 2-3 different brands...
    But this will ** definitely work very well ** once you get it set up properly.
    Get an experienced technician to set it up... probably worth the time you will save.
    It's not new technology... has been coming on for 3 years or so.

rm+

:cool: :cool: :cool:

6. sulli

sulli

My cable company (comcast) offers different bandwidth packages. You should call your cable company and ask if they can upgrade your service.

7. If you can get a full T-1 for less than $500 - jump on it. That is a bargin. No consumer broadband (cable/dsl) can compare in terms of speed and reliability (ah - depending on provider...).

8. RedManPlus

I have just recently purchased the Xincom XC-DPG502. Is this the one you had problems with? Just curious. It's still new in box. Should I just Ebay it and save myself the headaches or do you recommend I try it anyway?

What brand has worked best for you?