program trading

Discussion in 'Technical Analysis' started by Ron In-a-sauna, Feb 7, 2003.

1. Been watching the PREM and the Trin all day....Trin has steadly moved higher and has helped keep me short.

The damn Prem like someone else mentioned hasn't done much of anything.

It pretty much has a range today of -1.60 to 0. The buy sell programs are below....and couldn't have done anything because we haven't seen those levels.

Anyone using this indicator much inbetween those program buy and sell levels to time individual trades? If so can you give an example of how? Seems like mainly noise lately as far as I can tell.

Anyone?

"For Execution of Buy/Sell Programs
    Our FairValue for the SP 500 today is $--.11. That price will not change during the day. Our computers are set for program buying at $.73 and set for program selling at $--1.78. "

#11     Feb 19, 2003
  2. The $prem is fundamentally flawed as a pure indicator because it doesn't reveal true cash spread against true derivative spread. It's simply a spread against the last trade between the two. Look closely and you'll see identical prints which illustrate completely different causes.

To the laymen, most of the extreme prints one sees as a result of active futures volume is the bulge effect resluting from the programs, not causing them. 90% of our basket covers are on these prints. I could ramble on, but pure arb is only a fraction of total program activity. The big $ is out in front of the pure arb. Acquiring positions to blow out on such action is a little more discreet.:D

#12     Feb 21, 2003
  3. Speaking of buy/sell signals....have any of you tried the new 2003 version of Omnitrader....or would you categorize these kinds of platforms as junk??????????

#13     Feb 21, 2003
  4. Just a new version of an old bad habit.

#14     Feb 21, 2003