Profits, religion and politics

Discussion in 'Religion and Spirituality' started by jj_jere@hotmail, Dec 6, 2002.

1. Matt.... Thank you too for the kind words. I think I'll choose not to strike these memories because I truly appreciate your thoughts. As for the Good Christian. I came to Christ in midlife after a very wild and rebellious younger years. And after many years with Him I realize I am only a heartbeat away from my former self and ways.

#171     Dec 10, 2002

2. Wow the irony is everywhere. I spent my whole life being a "Good Christian Boy" and now I'm a pagan. You guys spent your whole life being pagan's to become "Good Christian Boys".

Now if I get sent to Hell I'm gonna be pissed. Is that really fair?

#172     Dec 10, 2002

3. OK SSB,

Are Jews trapped in an ancient belief system?

Be careful, you might paint yourself in a corner.

#173     Dec 10, 2002
  4. I'll go with your dodge. Let's just say reincarnation is true for a second. And let's say that karma is as well and that our goal is to slowly perfect ourselves.
    Now let's contrast that with Christianity which says the exact opposite as I'm sure you know.
    Then contrast that with Islam which relies at its core in following a few central tenets and believing that Allah is the only true God and Mohammed is his prophet.
    I think you know where I'm going: these are all completely the opposite and mutually exclusive. There is no middle ground and no commonality in core beliefs.
    It's nice to believe that we can all be right, but logic dictates that one and only one can be true (unless you are atheistic and believe that none are true).

#174     Dec 10, 2002
  5. I consider the Jewish people my "spiritual grandparents".

#175     Dec 10, 2002
  6. Yes and No. True, we don't all face Mecca and pray each day, but generally the major religions preach selflessness, caring for poor, denial of self etc. etc. Those are similar enough for me.

I don't know what "true" is, but my belief is that core constructs of prayer in all these religions is a quiet meditative state in which you go through some rituals to affirm your faith. Frankly, I think they can work whether you're praying to Jesus or Mohammed or the plastic bottle sitting on my desk.

#176     Dec 10, 2002

7. Very Funny,

So do you think of the Jews as older and wiser or a little senile?

#177     Dec 10, 2002
  8. Aarghh! I just sent a response into virtual never never land!

I don't see Jews as either: I of course Jesus as the fulfillment of the Old Testament, etc.

#178     Dec 10, 2002
  9. ************************************************
    Yes and No. True, we don't all face Mecca and pray each day, but generally the major religions preach selflessness, caring for poor, denial of self etc. etc. Those are similar enough for me.
    Noone can say a thing against selflessness, caring for the poor, etc. It's rare to hear anyone talk about such things any more: hedonism is the true religion out where I live.

#179     Dec 10, 2002
  10. But I have to go back to an important issue: the premise that underlies what you are saying is that beliefs really do not matter. In other words, it does not matter whether a person prays to Allah, believes in Jesus, worships a Hindu god, etc.

I have to respectfully disagree. This makes all the difference in the world and you can see it by the countries and regions around the world. Hinduism has created much of what you see in India (not everything of course) and that is drastically different than Islam which has created what you see in Saudi Arabia (not everything of course), etc. etc.

What you pray to and what you think about God does, imo, matter hugely. It cannot help but color all you do and also establishes the spirtual powers behind your prayers.

#180     Dec 10, 2002