profitable daytrading is possible, but probably not worth the effort

Discussion in 'Psychology' started by dozu888, Jan 8, 2008.

1. what are you talking about? are you high? have you traded stocks before? i don't want to be rude but you are acting as if you have no clue at all.

and seriously wtf...tick? contract? are you just screwing with me and acting really really dumb? i mean seriously you have to be if you say that etn, spy, axp, dia, itg, and so on are thinly traded. :confused: :( :p :mad: :) :eek:

#41     Jan 10, 2008
  2. lol i dunno...i'd have to go back and check. i probably got whacked on something on a wednesday. but i could have been drunk too!:p

#42     Jan 10, 2008
  3. ehsmama

ehsmama

You got it all wrong man. You Don't have to sit all day in front of computer to daytrade.
    I do long term, short term and daytrading. I make most returns on my money(in % terms) thru daytrading. I make about 3-5 trades a week in my daytrading account. Sometimes, I make more money in a daytrade (because you can take a huge position based on low risk profile of a daytrade) that I made in a year when I was working in a so called well paid I.T. job. So, I think those who malign daytrading ignore the possibilities that exist.
    I hardly spend 2-3 hours ( And that too if I want to) in front of screen,
    And as a full time trader if you can't do that then what else do you do whole day, when everybody else is busy at work anyway.

#43     Jan 10, 2008
  4. I think dozu888 was talking about the time and energy involved in the beginning as a day trader.

In contrast, I think you are talking about the time and energy of a veteran trader.

I still remember when I first started trading full time...countless of hours learning about the markets and trading...

Very little social life.

However, as a veteran trader, I'm much more efficient and spend no where near as much time and energy like I did when I first started trading...

Now I have a normal social life and trading is like a 8 to 5 job except I have a lot of trading days where I only trade a few hours (that's all that is needed).

Also, less time and energy is needed to study the markets.

Mark

#44     Jan 10, 2008
  5. I have to say daytrading is the best thing that can happen
    But also remmember to be a successfull daytrader u have to have a lot of knowledge and experience and screen time where you learn the patterns the market behavior charts hi low etc
    Screen time and if you could find a mentor would be good
    When i first started daytrading i did not have knowledge about futures E-mini pivots points gaps etc as i have always traded the Nasd stocks and times are not the same as they were in 1999 , 2000.
    I have failed couple of time and every time i learn a lot and wished i had the knowledge i have before i started day trading
    When i was daytrading i use to make $200 sometime $300 in few hours and then i use to be like i have to trade till 4 a clock and end up loosing.
    If every day when i was up and should have just closed my computer it would have been better it would have saved me from blowing my account and i would have been doing very good by now
    There is no job like trading : - >
    The Ksonsinc Trader

#45     Jan 11, 2008
  6. yeah i agree with that 100%. i put in tons of time learning the market to start. at the same time i was working at a shoe store to make sure i had income. now i feel like the less "work" i do the better i trade. i still enjoy reading and watching about market stuff outside of the office but i don't force feed it anymore.

#46     Jan 11, 2008

7. And he/she would say, "Yes and it taught me to do this well, because now I only follow the price actions as it is handed to me out the window. I no longer use the signal indicators, I only take what the (car) market gives me. I do not anticipate what the (car) market will do. I am on the opposite side of you so thank-you for your gift on this fine day", as he/she strolls away around the corner into their benz. LOL

T_182

#47     Jan 11, 2008
  8. can someone answer that?

#48     Jan 27, 2008
  9. Oh boy. Here we go.

Of all people, you're the last one to talk about other people's belief in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary. What about all your faith-based beliefs that you're squawking about in P & R?

Just because you can't do it doesn't mean others can't.

#49     Jan 27, 2008
  10. lescor

lescor

Can you make as much or more on the same capital base? Maybe. Can you do it with the same capital base and less risk? I doubt it. Daytrading lets you control your risk more, you can play a much tighter game. It also allows you to use your capital more efficiently by utilizing higher leverage for short periods of time where you can greatly limit your downside but still have great upside. You obviously will also be able to capture much more opportunity that is short lived and that the end-of-day trader never sees. And with professional leverage you can trade by commiting only a fraction of your assets to your account, yet have the capital needed to make good money while having the rest diversified into other things.

But it does require more time. It's up to you to determine if your time is more valuable than the potential gains. There's also nothing saying you can't combine both styles of trading.

#50     Jan 27, 2008