Profit from WCOM fraud

Discussion in 'Trading' started by lojze, Jun 26, 2002.

1. lojze

lojze

Who will be able to profit from WCOM fraud?

Maybe prop traders, as they are able to short on downtick? Or this is still not enough?

Lojze

2. Why would anyone want to short WCOM now? The risk/reward ratio is piss poor. You can only make 20 cents on the short but the risk is still high.

3. chs245

chs245

as a long term trade ?

June 26, 2002

Competitors may benefit from the elimination of WorldCom’s capacity mismanagement.

WorldCom, Inc. (NASDAQ: WCOM) (Price: $0.83) disclosed that it had inappropriately understated its operating expenses by $3.8 billion in the last 15 months. This almost eliminates WorldCom’s entire reported earnings before interest and taxes (“EBIT”) during the period.

For the subject 15 month period EBIT had been reported as over $4.3 billion. EBIT was reduced to just a mere $0.5 billion. As a result, the expense understatement accounted for practically all of WorldCom’s reported EBIT.

Reported EBIT as a percentage of sales was approximately 10%. Restated EBIT as a percentage of sales is approximately 1%. WorldCom can not economically maintain its current services at current prices, even without accounting for capital expenditures and interest costs. WorldCom’s capacity can no longer be utilized to inappropriately affect legitimate industry competitors.

We believe AT&T Corp. (NYSE: T) (Price: $9.99) will be among the competitors that will benefit from the elimination of WorldCom’s unsustainable pricing pressure. AT&T’s core telephone business can be created by selling 0.32 shares of Comcast Corporation’s Class A Special Common Stock (NASDAQ:CMCSK) (Price: $24.24) for each AT&T share purchased.

**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
    The confidentiality of Internet e-mail cannot be guaranteed. Information sent over the Internet e-mail could be viewed by persons other than the intended recipients. Therefore, you should not include private information in your e-mail messages.

All market prices, data and other information in this communication are not warranted as to completeness or accuracy and may be subject to change. This communication should not be relied upon for information regarding your own buy and sell decisions.

This information is being sent to you for your information or at your request. If you do not wish to receive any further information please send a message via e-mail to delist@asensio.com.

ASENSIO & COMPANY, INC.

4. trdrmac

trdrmac

David Faber reported today that the bonds are selling for .12 on the dollar.

Option 1 if you can short it after it is halted which I would highly doubt is to buy the bonds and short the common as a hedge.

Option 2 would be to by the bonds and sell the calls as a hedge.

Option 3 would be to just buy the bonds and pray.

Option 4 would be to take WCON up on their next offer for a toaster or airline miles if you switch your long distance service.

5. I'd take option 4, but I don't appreciate SWA trying to get me to pay double just because I'm a little larger than the average person.:D

6. Probably MArtha Stewart will profit from it. Now IMCL doesn't look so bad. This is over 100 billion dollar bancruptcy.

So, how many funds and people own WCOM...........almost everyone. Bigger than Enron.

Boy, I love this market....never a dull moment. Keeps my cardiolagist very busy.