Professional Trading - where does it stand compared to other high pay professions ?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by syswizard, Feb 10, 2019.

1. If you are competing and placing on Kaggle, and you're biling $1k/day, you are underpaid. Get a pair and negotiate better.

I was being sarcastic with SQL, but when everone is a data scientist, no one is a data scientist. Agree with you on the minimal tech/brain stack needed.

#21     Feb 10, 2019
  2. maxinger

maxinger

Cannot be compared.

trading is only profession where you can increase your income
    by simply increasing your lot size.
    You don't have to increase your trading hour,
    you don't have to change your computer hardware and software,
    you don't have to make major change your trade plan.

For other professions like doctors, dentists, lawyers ... they have to work like hell and work longer hours. Or perhaps they have to work 2 jobs to increase income.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    #22     Feb 10, 2019
  3. Yes. I thought I was a "data scientist" til I tested for the NSA. .. won't be moving to Ft Meade soon.... nooby is correct though.. As an example, if you have good grades at a good school AND young enough and gets accepted at let's say Epic in Wisconsin, in 2 years you will be certified w one of their EHR modules.. if u r willing to be a road warrior,you will be at $140k in no time.

#23     Feb 10, 2019
  4. Overnight

Overnight

We'll never ever develop a warp drive with that attitude. I weep for the future.

#24     Feb 10, 2019
  5. I agree with you. As I plow thru my AI courses for my masters, part of the work involves reading scholarly articles about ML, AI, calculus,etc.. It is kinda sad that a good majority of the authors are not from the US. As the Chinese plow ahead using AI to create algos for their transport systems, etc.. I think we are using AI and robotics to make dog dishes and floor mats by Weathertech. :)

#25     Feb 10, 2019
  6. maxzinger. I agree with you to a certain extent but you will reach some scalability issues at a certain point- ask sle and dest.. As far as lawyers,doctors...that is not totally true. My inlaw (retired now) was part of a x person anethesia group with 2x CRNA's so every $$ the CRNA's makes, he gets a cut. He is comfortably ensconed in a > 10k sqft house wathing the sunset daily.

#26     Feb 10, 2019
  7. Trading is the only job where you can lose money even if you work hard. Just like a business!

#27     Feb 10, 2019
    JSOP and maxinger like this.
  8. maxinger

maxinger

Totally agree.

#28     Feb 10, 2019
  9. sle

sle

Oh, trust me - there is a big difference between running a few hundred thousands and several hundred millions.

#29     Feb 10, 2019
    murray t turtle likes this.
  10. JSOP

JSOP

I do not count drug dealers as professionals. They are criminals. I think we should confine the comparison to legal law-abiding professionals. The income from trading all depends on you. If you are good, the sky is the limit; you could actually be making more money than those professionals. But what's more important for a trader is the job satisfaction from trading, whether trading is your cup of tea. To me, you shouldn't go into trading just for the money aspect of it; just like everything else you should go into it because you like the aspect of trading, the analysis, the research, the negotiating all of that you will be doing LOTS of. It's really easy to be mesmerized by all the shiny profit that seems to be so easy from trading, what you don't see is the disappointment, the anguish, the panic, the anxiety, the anger from the losses which is quite often.

#30     Feb 11, 2019
    murray t turtle and mushinseeker like this.