Professional scanner or my scanner ? !

Discussion in 'App Development' started by mr_byte31, Aug 24, 2018.

1. Hi All,

as the post says. I am looking for scanners to help me to find stocks with certain criteria.

Online scanners I know :

TD Ameritrade : they have great scanner and the tool is free but they currently don't accept accounts from Europe. I am not allowed to open account with them now.
    Zacks stock scanner : nice but nothing special and a lot of missing features.
    Trade ideas : very expensive and I don't know how advanced it is.
    Finviz: great free tool but I still miss many things

I want to know if there is any other professional scanners that I don't know about them.

If not, I was thinking to build my own tool since I have software skills.

This is what I am planning to do :

Database ( MySQL or SQLite ) : I can collect the historical data from yahoo finance and save them(Nasdaq, NYSE, I also think to extend this to German stock markets). they will be updated on daily basis.
    Scanners(Python):
    Candle stick search patterns on weekly since they are more effective(Hammer, ... ).
    Indicators : search for stocks with specific technical indicators like BB , MACD, RSI ....
    Unusal behaviour : climatic stocks, search for spikes volume , ..
    Earnings : search stocks with specific earnings history.
    relative strength : I don't think I have to pay for IBD to get this kind of evaluation.
    Back testing: This will be exhaustive task since the framework will last long.I am not willing to pay much for Amibroker.
    and more

did anyone started a similar activity before and had some luck and want to share his experience ?

murray t turtle likes this.
  2. Robert Morse

Robert Morse Sponsor

3. This is a very basic scanner.
    It reminds me with IB scanner.
    Nothing advanced.
    I am sure you can't scan for certain candlesticks or even technical indicator values (ex. RSI(9) < 50, MACD >0 ,... )
    you also can't make a combination of sectors and industries ! just one sector or one industry.

Many many limitations !

truetype likes this.
  4. tommcginnis

tommcginnis

You've got SQL and Python skills, and you want a free scanner?
    Build your own.

Undoubtedly, Lightspeed/Lime has a .csv dump ability, as does IB's TWS.

If you want an RSI of 42-with-a-lefthanded-twist, and are frustrated that not everyone has it, I'd offer two observations:
    1) It's not offered because, while moving averages long predate computers and The Interwebs, no one has found them worthwhile to trade to that degree of specificity.
    2) But....If YOU think they provide your Special Sauce, BUILD YOUR OWN.

You can do this. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Last edited: Aug 24, 2018
    mr_byte31 likes this.
  5. %%
    Yes;
    investors.com
    barchart.com :cool::cool:

mr_byte31 likes this.
  6. deaddog

deaddog

What are you looking to scan for?

I use stockcharts.com and VectorVest.

7. barchart was very helpful. Thanks @Murray

@deaddog , I couldn't find scannerfor stockcharts.

I give example for what I am looking for :
    Stock very extended (Climatic) for long or short. I define this by far from 20MA more than 2% or outside the BB(20).
    Hammer or bullish engulfing pattern candlestick + relative high volume on the weekly chart after down trend.
    Things like this !

8. srinir

srinir

9. deaddog

deaddog

I guess you have to have a subscription.

Their scanning tool can do all the above. They have a free 1 month trial that might be worth your while.

10. Trade-Ideas has a free version with delayed data if you don't mind not getting real-time alerts. I haven't used their web service but I can attest to their pro version. Hands down, it's the best I have seen.

#10     Aug 24, 2018
    mr_byte31 likes this.