Professional programmers

Discussion in 'App Development' started by Aquarians, Apr 22, 2021.

1. ph1l

ph1l

At my last job, the company forced agile development on my project and many others. Part of the methodology was to classify all non-management people as developers to turn the employees into commodities that could do any job worldwide. That may sound like a great idea to an executive -- but it didn't help morale among the peons too much.

We did write fewer documents. But we had more useless meetings and were encouraged to produce garbage quickly by the end of the sprint to get credited for the all-important, and usually inflated, "story points." On the bright side, cancer surgery didn't seem as bad since I got away from agile for awhile.:)

Agile was one of the reasons I retired early.

#31     Apr 24, 2021
    PoundTheRock and qlai like this.
  2. No substitute to owning your own data yet. Anyways. See "Salad" post on the "Romanian Cuisine" thread in Chit Chat.

#32     Apr 24, 2021
  3. userque

userque

They use an 'ugly' filter.

Just kidding :D

Check your 'All Mail' and 'Spam' and 'Sent' folders.

#33     Apr 24, 2021
  4. World being shit is why it's an "up-or-out" choice.

If it wasn't Agile, it would be something else. It's not the problem: Agile today, Waterfall yesterday, funk knows before that or tomorrow. It's not the solution: retire if you have the money.

It's the setup: we're funked or was once funcdked by terrorists noone remembers anymore. But in order to stay alive, the victims identified with their masters and carried on.

It's that fucked up.

#34     Apr 24, 2021
  5. terr

terr

Aquarius: in other directions, some code development gets perverse. My example is kdb and "q" language. Yes, kdb may be ultra fast. Yes, the point of pride seems to be that the number of lines of code for the database was tiny.

Yes, for people with apparently many more brain wrinkles than I have, the q language may be an ultra efficient way to write code - maybe. But the code is unreadable.

And the other language clients that are written for it seem to revel in the same unreadability. As in this apparently official C# client for kdb database connection (called c.cs) that I got where every variable and function is very deliberately one letter long and code like this is common (with NO comments whatsoever):

string rs() { int k = j; for (; b[j] != 0; ++j) ; string s = e.GetString(b, k, j - k); j++; return s; }

As in - yes, eventually I can figure out what this does. But it is one line in about 400 equally terse lines, and when I had to debug why something was not working it was a nightmare. Yet there are adherents who sing paeans to this system.

#35     Apr 24, 2021
  6. The problem with software development now is that almost all of the F500 IT departments are run by humorless, ex-Deloitte Indian women who bring their caste-like sensibilities to fiery daily standups. The days of an office with a door for a young software engineer just out of college are long-gone.

#36     Apr 24, 2021
    d08 likes this.
  7. Millionaire

Millionaire

But things are better in that regard, we can all work from home now with hot desk back in the office when we feel like a change of scene.

This makes trading the markets while holding down a full time programming job a hell of a lot easier ;) , in the office there was always the risk of being dragged into a meeting at exactly the wrong time..

Also had quite a few afternoon power naps during lock down/work from home as well.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2021
    #37     Apr 25, 2021
    Aquarians and qlai like this.
  8. OpenTrade

OpenTrade

I am a full-time programmer and part-time trader. I love coding more than trading. I am also working on open-source projects.

https://github.com/rustdesk/rustdesk An open-source remote desktop software

#38     Apr 26, 2021
    guru likes this.
  9. Nowadays basic programming for utility is the new "Microsoft Office" on resumes. It is not uncommon for everyone on a desks know their way around Python scripts for web scraping and manipulating data.

#39     Apr 27, 2021
    qlai likes this.
  10. 2rosy

2rosy

small price to pay for 10x salary

#40     Apr 27, 2021