Professional online poker player to trader?

Discussion in 'Professional Trading' started by Tradenaturalgas, Jul 8, 2014.

1. If you have enough of your own money to trade than prop-trading is not for you. You have to figure out weather you want to daytrade ,swing trade or invest.

#11     Jul 20, 2014
  2. Correct me if I'm wrong as im not a poker player but isn't theres a big difference in odds in poker vs trading. In poker the odds of winning can be calculated with 100% certainty. In other words the odds wont change no matter what so you can bet a hand with certainty that your odds are 60% chance of wining or whatever. So you can bet big with confidence. With trading the odds of winning are never known. You can say that on average a trade wins 60% of the time but that can change in a heartbeat. Outside and unknown eventa can turn that 60% chance of winning to 10% chance if a plane gets blown out of the sky for example. I think thats why a lot of good poker playera dont always translate to good traders. The odds in trading can never be known with 100% certainty, whereas in poker they can. BIg difference imo.

#12     Jul 20, 2014
  3. Don't let the cynics get you down, if you truly want to do it you'll find a way. A lot of top tier prop firms use poker as a training exercise for their traders. Do some research into what type of trading you want to get into (HFT market making/stat arb, spreading, discretionary etc.) and study up on that niche. Once you have an idea of your direction as a trader you should be able to narrow in on a few firms.

http://www.businessinsider.com/wall-streets-best-poker-players-2011-6?op=1

edit: this might interest you https://careers-sig.icims.com/jobs/1542/natural-gas-strategist/job

#13     Jul 20, 2014
  4. sumfuka

sumfuka

There is NO similarities. None, zip, 0, ゼロ.

It is like saying a farmer driving a tractor for farming is = to a contractor driving a steamroller to paving the city street.

However, the best cheaters would be able to formulate an edge. And they can jump ship between poker and trading fairly easily assuming they have the right tools.

#14     Jul 20, 2014
  5. Poker's pretty much a closed ecosystem where the only participants are fellow players, so besides the rake, you just need to be somewhat better than the average player to be profitable. Within the trading ecosystem, retail daytraders (this includes prop) are by far the biggest losers. Traders at bank prop desks, certain hedge funds, market makers, etc. make the lion's share of the profits (information advantage, capital advantage, PR advantage, speed, connectivity, etc). I think if you look at it that way, you can see why trading is probably a tougher proposition than poker. You're at a pretty huge inherent disadvantage right from the start since it's not a fair game at all.

I actually wonder the same thing. I've been trading full-time for many years now and would consider myself fairly successful. However, I'm constantly tempted to post negative things on ET threads. Personally, my strategies are more akin to secrets than they are to skill and hard work, and I can easily imagine myself spending years of hard work and never stumbling on a profitable strategy.

I do think trading has a way of bringing out the inner skeptic in me and I'm sure I'm not the only one.

#15     Jul 20, 2014