Professional grade Charting software - how to find good retail charting software

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by velshin, Sep 22, 2007.

1. artes

artes

I like ninja ! very good feeling, no losting lots or missed stop orders

#21     Sep 23, 2007
  2. Aok

Aok

aspen graphics
    cqg
    tradestation
    neoticker
    IRT
    Sierra chart
    Ensign

Aspen works with Bloomberg.

CQG data is very nearly as good though not as extensive.

Neoticker is more versatile than any software Ive ever used but learning curve is steep.

Sierra Chart is the little train that could.

IRT is solid albeit not sexy.

And Ensign is impressive for its low price.

Disclaimer: Ive used all these and currently use TS, and CQG but my uses may not be your uses.

I believe Aspen will let you demo for 1/2 rate. Been awhile since I used them.

good luck.

#22     Sep 23, 2007
  3. #23     Sep 23, 2007
  4. Ensign is a toy by your standard. Remember, trading skills are much more important than softwares. Softwares are only tools. As long as they suit your needs, that's fine.

The same principle can applied to any tools, IMO.

#24     Sep 23, 2007
  5. #25     Jul 17, 2008
  6. Its not slow. The speed depends on the datafeed you are using with Neoticker rather than the software itself. People are screening hundreds of stocks with it simultaneously.

Also, Ninjatrader can only do futures (which makes it not suitable for the op). Neoticker can work with every asset class (or chartable timeseries for that matter).

The nice thing about Neo is its open architecture. You can use pretty much every programming language to speak to it (means working with a professional level IDE rather than a built in script editor) and you can even code your own broker/datafeed connection if needed. Its got a steep learning curve, but that is directly related to the possibilities of the software. And it can do everything on the OP's list out of the box.

I don't want to talk down Ninjatrader, its a really great tool for discretionary futures traders (for that purpose it is much superior than Neoticker), but in other areas (automation for example) it is lacking compared to other products.

#26     Jul 17, 2008
  7. raker

raker

depends on how sophisticated you want the software to be , If you want to program and write your own stuff for me neoticker is the best..

#27     Jul 17, 2008
  8. NinjaTrader_Ray

NinjaTrader_Ray ET Sponsor

This is incorrect. NinjaTrader supports futures, forex and equities.

#28     Jul 17, 2008
  9. Gaddock

Gaddock

When I was prop trading I used ESignal Pro for analytics and Goldman Sachs Redi for placing orders. I also used proprietary Excel spreads fed by DDE through Redi

Worked GREAT.

Now I work for a wire-house and use ThomsonOne, or a very close firm customized version of it.

Both are about the same with DDE but are a diff language so had to have my guys in India rewrite it.

#29     Aug 9, 2009
  10. Exactly. This guy's criteria or sense of good software is flawed. If Tradestation is in the running, then MultiCharts should also be there. After all, it's an improved "clone" of Tradestation.

#30     Aug 9, 2009