Professional firms in Europe

Discussion in 'Prop Firms' started by B.Willis, Feb 11, 2002.

1. B.Willis

B.Willis

Does anyone know if there are professional proprietary trading firms like Bright Trading, Echotrade, etc. in Europe?
    I´m looking for European firms or branches of US firms.

2. wild

wild

this is by no means to be regarded as a recommendation in any way ... just a url

www.actior.de

regards

wild

3. Looks like a retail firm to me. I am not sure but I think Blackwood trading has an office in London, it's a retail firm but they have proprietary traders.

Correction: they no longer have a branch in the UK.

Anyway this is not a true professional firm. I would think in Europe, trading firms don't have the commission business model of the US prop firms, they may also be more derivatives oriented. Use the search function , somebody posted a few url of options and futures firms, like Optiver.

4. Carl Kliem maintains some offices in Germany, but i heard overall conditions are rather unfavourable (like with other trading offices, it are much more trading offices than prop firms, but i do not know any real prop firm at least in Germany)

5. Funster

Funster

As far as I know pro firms in the sense that firms like Bright etc do not exist in London.

We do have day trading firms, but because UK stocks have 0.5% stamp duty, they trade USA stocks. So they trade between 2.30pm and 9.15pm, and provide "lunch" at 5pm!!! Really there is no cost/leverage advantage to trading privately from home though.

The other thing I was told (which really smacks of the nanny state we have here!) was that if I was going to get an exchange membership on, say, the cme - so I could trade globex at home for cheap fees on even my own account, I would also have to register with our own UK Financial Services Authority - an overtly expensive and burocratic process. Ridiculous, but then you also suffer with pathetic government rulings designed to save you from yourself! Liberal democracies - don't you just love 'em!

6. We had a "boutique" office in London a few years back, and are presently looking into a couple of places in Europe. I hope to have some solid news over the next few months.

7. Funster

Funster

Don,

I might be interested in this, but from what I understand the regulations required to become a pro trader even on US markets based in the UK is extremely onerous.

And of course, it is very hard to get to work (as a daytrader!) in the US for a UK citizen. So catch 22 for me!

I did actually email you asking about such matters a couple of months ago, but got no reply.

What kind of clothes do you sell at your "boutique" by the way? :)

8. Sorry if you did not receive a reply. I recall inquiries from the UK, but when I replied the emails were sent back undelivered. We have had several "Brits" trading with us in the U.S., but I am not sure of their resident status.

"Clothing optional" at our boutiques...:)

9. Don

I was wondering if there are any plans to open an office in the Netherlands ?

#10     Feb 12, 2002