Professional feeds/software (i.e. Bloomberg, Reuters, CQG)?

Discussion in 'Trading Software' started by MarketWatcher, Jul 10, 2003.

1. Jerry:
    I think QuoteTracker has potential, but there are a few major flaws in my opinion. It is impressive considering it is free and can interface with the different brokers. I appreciate your courteous, helpful response. I think there are a few simple changes you could make that would give it a cleaner, more professional look.

When I change the color scheme and "save now" and exit and restart, it reverts to the old color scheme. Why doesn't it save the color scheme? I frequently get blank rows in the T&S window. The price column in the T&S window should be center justified for a cleaner look. Actually, it should be left justified so the decimals line up, but the numbers should lie in the center of the column as with the Streamer T&S window. The 'change' column on the quotesheet should also be configured this way. I'm sure you would agree that the Streamer T&S window is more attractive, thus making the data more assimilable. Also, I prefer an all black T&S window. It would be nice if the Level II columns were movable. I have many more questions/suggestions. Should I address them through email?

#31     Jul 11, 2003
  2. Save now is for data, not settings. It is supposed to save the color scheme when you close and restart. What QT version are you using?
    QT shows blank price and blank volume if the volume and price did not change from previous quote (bid/ask changed)

Will look at making that an option. Right now it lines up the decimal points. I don't know if I would agree with you on the more attractive thing. As for all black, select "Underwater" color scheme, then go to OPTIONS/Edit Preferences, Misc tab and UN-Check the box for "Stripe Rows"

Yes, please email me at jerry@quotetracker.com. Support stuff you can send to support@quotetracker.com - the replies are quick

#32     Jul 11, 2003
  3. I updated the version and it correctly saved the color scheme. For some reason the font was set to Arial. I changed to the default font after noticing a difference in the images in the help files. The default font made a big difference. The decimals now line up and it looks much cleaner.

It would be nice to be able to indendently set the color scheme for each window. I prefer 'Sunny' for the porfolio and 'Underwater' for the Raw Data window. Are you working on offering true T&S which filter out everything but the trades? The 'solid highlights' tab doesn't seem to be working. I'll use email for rest of my questions/suggestions. Thanks for your help.

#33     Jul 11, 2003
  4. spieler

spieler

I am investment manager of a Hedge fund .
    I used to day trade with the Fund

I use bloomberg only for news
    I use Qcharts for data feed and am very happy with it. not a joke for me they have improved the service.

Of course i have others tools such as in-house scanners....

#34     Jul 11, 2003
  5. fabrizio

fabrizio

No sorry. with 800 $ with CQG you got really NOTHING , just some studies and couple of basics. Nothing else3. Forget about the Exchange fees since the opening porice of CQG is 595 EUROS which is roughly close to 600USD.

So once we speak of Platform please let's speak of FULL PROFESSIONAL CONFIGURATION not the basic. Even a Carrera 996 cost 72K $ naked.........then put on the necessary indispensable jewelery and the not indispensable and you see the right price........

Please be detailed.

#35     Jul 11, 2003
  6. fabrizio

fabrizio

I guess that Spieler pointed out the topic: each one you named is specialized in something: Bloomberg in news poor in analisys, Reuters good in currency and maybe nesws but poor in the rest, QCharts I do not comment on but little limited for the retail and expecially for the Pros.
    Take a look to the new ESIG and you'll find the whole pro mix at a great level . In my opinion right now Not surpassed by anyone.

Go and try , try the Tom Joseph scanner, the Esig scanner, the rally scanner, the pre open scanner...................but always try to limit the topic to the pros tools, not with the boy 's toys......

http://www.esignal.com
    http://www.esignalcentral.com

#36     Jul 11, 2003
  7. Are there any Reuters users out there ?

#37     Jul 15, 2003
  8. Some people here don't seem to know what they are talking about.

- CQG
    CQG is above all a techical analysis software. CQG is rock solid. The quality of the data feed is incredible (no outage was ever due to CQG). The software doesn't have all the tricks others have but is very well designed and easy to use (the custom study builder is really easy to use). Someone pretends in the review of another software that the price was 2500 euros. This is not true at all. CQGNet should cost around 600$, CQGLan (satellite) atound 1200$. A basic version of CQG is ALREADY fully functional (who would like to add the Tom DeMark crap?). I have used both (internet and satellite) and both were pretty good.
    Their customer service (at least the Paris office) and accounting service (in London) was however very poor (to stay polite...).

- Bloomberg
    I think Fabrizio should sit in front of a Bloomy once in his life.
    Bloomberg poor in analysis:confused: That's not true at all. Bloomberg is poor in technical analysis but not in analysis. I have been a professional fixed income trader for several years and could not have worked without a Bloomberg. Bloomberg is useless for most of us who focus on TA.

- Reuters.
    Reuters is above all a news and price feed. As a professional fixed income trader, I have used Reuters to feed my excel pricers. Reuters is very useful to have price in cash products and in otc derivative products from banks and brokers from all over the world. Reuters is useless for most of us who focus on TA.

That was exactly my trading setup at the major investment banks I have worked in Europe.
    - Reuters for news and to feed my excel pricers
    - Bloomberg for fixed income analysis
    - CQG for technical analysis
    All that for a low fee of around 5000$/month:D

#38     Jul 15, 2003
  9. fabrizio

fabrizio

Marathon Trading

Sorry for the lenght of my answer but your detailed post deserv it. Even becasue I do not want to be misunderstood at all.

It dipends: there is people who knows exactly how much they pay, the tools they need to work, the Investment Banks in NYC & London & Zurich for whom worked as consultant or customer since 1980 with very high knowledge of the top management and easy access to the trading rooms (either in NYC or in LOndon or Paris or Zurich).

[/b] This is an absolute allegation that has to be proven by fact. I always spoke well of CQG, I do consider it the Bentley Around , never said it is not good or excellent . Nevertheless I said that belongs already to the past: the segregated strategy of being "closed" to the external world has secluded CQG to an irrelevant MS, limited to the Istitutionals: But how many ? And strategically for how long? If you are an Itsuitutional and you can get as well solid rock data at a lower price with "open view" for the future why keep paiyng a lot for the 10/ 50/100/150/200 workstation taht you have in your trading room in just one city?

For what concerning the malfunctions and outage I have the CD available to everyone with all the logs of the CQG software created by itself in zip file that shows above any possible doubt the problems in OUTAGE that I experienced not only once but at least 5 or 6 times. I had to suspend the Tom de mark studies in order to have the machine lighter. My hardware is at the TOP :p4 2.8, 1GIG RAM ASUS MB etcetc and more machine each one dedicated to one job :so on the CQG machine was running only CQG , with a dedicated ADSL . Trace Route pictures and graphs shows "197" wich is a very acceptable level of connection between the computer and the data source. So no way to blame the lines or the providers. So saiyng NO OUTAGE EVER it is alittle too much. I would say a more safe "very seldom, almost never" but not "zero, Zilch, Gurnish, Zippo outage".

As a matter of fact what I contest is not the fact that a Machine can fail once or two or have a fault, but that there is NO POP UP WINDOWS to advise you; The system should continuosly check the CQG clock and the PC clock: once it goes over an inaceptable level of difference , should WARN THE USER IMMEDIATLY as it does when the exchange has problem with the message " DATA DELAYED". Or that if a huge number of packets are left behind will immediatly warn the user

This is not implemented in CQG and for the amount of money I pay I pretend it. More over It will never be( they do not pay attention to their customer) : because I asked for and I had N_O_ R-E-S-P-O-N-S-E-A-T-A-L-L as well as the many times I asked the possibility to use OTTO: the partners brokers DID NOT EVEN ANSWERED TO MY MAILS : I'm poor yes, but not THAT poor. In CQG am 'I riding a Bentley ? Yes I Do : so I pretend that that once I ring the bell the Garage will answer and open the door. With the white gloves.

I tell you what: in ESIGNAL ADVANCED GET IT HAPPENS: you ask for an improvement in the platform or there is a problem or something is missed? Voilà vit dit dit fait :a la facon du Le LOUIS XV a Monaco. I mean I get immediatly from the Tops Dogs. At least an answer.
    Not just me, I'm just an emeritous MR. Nobody , but everyone who is client. And you know what ? for me this that you feel yourself - just because MR. NOBODY - a valuable customer . Period.

Sorry but the software HAS all the tricks , and many more; though each one is locked and you have to pay for it. The tricks and gimmicks in CQG are even redundant . The custom study ( tool box) it is a little outdated with its macro like language even if simple for us not programmers.
    Let's take an example: I want a study that take in consideration the Color of an indicator or oscillator or bar. With CQG I cannot, wit esignal EFS propietary java script language in 5 minutes is ready. Perfectly working . And you do not even bother to develop it with the formula wizard: for someone will - enormously kindly- do it for you at no cost.

That someone Is myself, and again I can say that what you say is IMHO not completely correct.
    I state herebelow a monthly invoice of CQG:

-CQG NET SERVER ACCESS: 0€
    -NET 2001 595€
    -CBOT and MACE 38€
    -CME 50€
    -COMEX 71€
    -Dow Jones Key Inexes 0€
    -NYMEX 71€
    -One Chicago Non Pro 4€
    -EUREX non pro 12€
    -Italian Futures & Equities 20€
    -AMEX non pro 5€
    -NASDAQ Stocks non pro 5€
    -NYSE non pro 8€
    -Advanced Get Bill by vendor 0€(AGET RT Feed from CQG)
    -Demark Indicators Full Pack. 287€
    -Dow Jones Bankers Report 205 €

*Monthly service sub Total 1,317.00€

Add to this about 250 € for backtesting & Signal evaluator

VAT of 20% 313€

TOTAL AMOUNT: 1880€

If you add some little pro rated service ( you maybe added at the half of the past month a service that correctly they have to charge yopu for the 15 days used) you get to over 2.000€ or 2240 USD Why add TDM crap ? Larry williams maybe works with just a 5 level book and no chart and makes millions; others istitutional works with 2 screens 2 oscillators and couple of moving averages. And make millions.
    I am just a little limited and to make money I need: ADVANCED GET , 5 screen and TOM DEMARK; add some news and a decent editor to create your study , plus a backtesting machine, plus other minore studies like envelope, volumes, MA, DMA. Sorry .

As mr. Nobody I can only say "hat off to Bloomy". And I'm sorry if I was misunderstood: poor in technical analysys I ment. Again the system is closed , segregated . Great for the Istututional. Asa matter of fact they do not need to be too much technical, right? But Do you remeber Bloomy in 1986 ? , Salomon Brothers trading Floor in Victoria London? By and large the system is just that one with no major changement excxept the green phosphorus. And we are in 2003. They had - and IMHO still have - the istitutional market but always IMHO i cannot see any particular "improvements, at least "ergonomics "( those screens and pivots..... you can get much better resolution and quality for a bunch of dimes!)

#39     Jul 18, 2003
  10. iqfeed

iqfeed DTN

We have displaced a large number of CQG and FutureSource systems in major trading floors in the past year with our ProphetX on the Net product. At half the price ($195/mo) futures and energy traders are finding they can get high end analytics, RT Reuters news feeds, fast quotes, and our dedicated customer support. I haven't seen it mentioned (mostly because the product is marketed to trading floor as opposed to the retail market) so thought I would throw it out there. The trial is available at www.fimi.com.

Jay Froscheiser
    DTN Market Access, LLC.

#40     Jul 18, 2003